fasterem

Trying To Reprogram An Ss Chip?

yes the ss and ss2 will both use a 08m chip but they are not available much anymore(discontinued)....I also think(not sure) that the old ss can use the 08m2 chip

btw - I had no problem putting the old p32 code onto a 08m2 chip but that doesn't mean it'll be the same for every program I'd guess(and I am no expert yet)

I agree, just not sure about the code working from one to the other. I think they have something built into the programming that can change it for you, from 08M to 08M2, but not sure and never used it. It might work without changing the code? I'm not sure of all the differences. But one way or the other it should work in there.

The 20X2's are getting hard to find too. I bought a few and put them away. Also using the 20M2 now which is replacing the 20X2's.

I haven't used any of the 08M2 chips but I don't think a program for the 08M will work on the 08M2 and vice versa. I could be wrong though. Emmet, if you need a couple of 08M chips I think I still have some around here I could send you.

yup - thinkin you're right. I see Ghoot still has 08m chips for sale so that must have been what I programmed for that p32...might have to grab a few for backups soon before he runs out of stock there. Of course there has to be somebody still putting them out somewhere anyway...like after market MOPAR :D

Lon, I don't think you will be able to get the 08M chips anywhere else. The Picaxe chips have some sort of special program running in the background that will only work with Pacaxe, that is why you can't use any other 8 pin chip and program it on the Picaxe programmer using their software.

Edited by bigbassmann

For the most part any program written for the 08M should work on the 08M2. The only thing you would need to change is the pin assignments are different. For example pin 0 on the 08M is ping C.0 on the 08M2. So all you would have to do is go in and edit the program to the new pin assignments and you should be all set. They can be found in the picaxe getting started manual. The same can not be said for taking a 08M2 program and putting it on a 08M. First you would need to change the pin assignments back around and even then it may not working depending on if the 08M2 program is using some of the features that aren't built into the 08M.

Matt

Matt, that is precisely what I was referring to. You would have to do a lot of reassigning the pins and such so basically a program written for one would not work for the other without some knowledge of what would need to be changed first. I found this out first hand when going from the 14M chip to the 14M2 for the first time. :blush: It takes me awhile sometimes but I eventually get there. You said it much clearer than I did in my other response.

If you start out with a well written program like Gary's that has the symbols defined at the top of the code then changing the pin assignments should just be a matter of looking at what pin on the 08M corresponds to the pin on the 08M2 and change it in one place. However, if you get a hold of one of my earlier programs I didn't define the pins with symbols and you would have to go though and find every time that pin is referenced in the code and change it to the corresponding one on the 08M2. Bottom line is 08M -> 08M2 is pretty straight forward. 08M2 -> 08M can be tricky but doable most of the time.

Matt, you and I seem to be the only clowns still up at this late hour. :D I have had enough for one night. See ya later.

thanks guys for all the responces, sure do appreciate it, question now is because i have 8m2 chip and not a 8m chip, with the code I am using which I will post down a little farther, would I get that error?

the code I am using is this

symbol ShutterPin=0

symbol CameraPowerPin=1

symbol TrailFeederSwitchPin=pin2

symbol MotionSensorInputPin=pin3

symbol LEDpin=4

'symbol PAXE=5

symbol ActivityMode=bit0 '0=off and 1 = on

symbol StartWithWalkTestONorOff=bit1

symbol CameraIsONorOFF=bit2 'keep track of camera being on or off for activity mode

symbol TimeToTurnCamOnToRefreshFlash=w3

symbol TmeWaitAfterCamOnToPresShuter=w4

symbol DelayBetweenPictures=w5

symbol TimeForWalkTestToEnd=w6 'delay for walktest

symbol i=b1

disablebod

Low ShutterPin

Low CameraPowerPin

Low LEDpin

input 2

CameraIsONorOFF = 0

Pause 5000

'++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TimeToTurnCamOnToRefreshFlash=25000 '25,000 = 1 hour, 50,000 = 2 hours with NAP3 (.144)

TmeWaitAfterCamOnToPresShuter=1000'"1.2 S"

StartWithWalkTestONorOff = 1 'on = 1 off = 0

DelayBetweenPictures=26 '26 = 60 seconds between pics in feeder mode

TimeForWalkTestToEnd = 208 'Time for walktest 0.144 secondss for nap3(208x0.144 = 30 seconds)

'++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Walktst:

IF StartWithWalkTestONorOff = 1 Then

w1=w1+1

NAP 3

IF MotionSensorInputPin = 0 Then

High LEDpin

Pause 1000

Low LEDpin

Pause 3000 'for sensor to settle

w1=0

EndIF

IF w1 >=TimeForWalkTestToEnd Then

StartWithWalkTestONorOff = 0

For i = 1 to 10

High LEDpin

Pause 200

Low LEDpin

Pause 100

next i

Pause 1000

GoTo lowpower

EndIF

EndIF

GoTo Walktst

lowpower:

IF MotionSensorInputPin=0 Then

IF CameraIsONorOFF=0 Then

Pause 10

IF TrailFeederSwitchPin = 0 Then

ActivityMode=0

Else

ActivityMode=1

EndIF

EndIF

IF ActivityMode = 0 Then

If CameraIsONorOFF=0 Then

Pause 10

High CameraPowerPin ' Turn Camera ON

Pause 500

Low CameraPowerPin

CameraIsONorOFF=1

Pause TmeWaitAfterCamOnToPresShuter

endif

High ShutterPin ' Take a Picture

Pause 1100

Low ShutterPin

Sleep 5

High CameraPowerPin ' Turn Camera OFF

Pause 500

Low CameraPowerPin

CameraIsONorOFF=0

w1=0

Sleep DelayBetweenPictures

EndIF

IF ActivityMode = 1 Then

IF CameraIsONorOFF=0 Then

Pause 10

Pause 500

Low CameraPowerPin

CameraIsONorOFF=1

Pause TmeWaitAfterCamOnToPresShuter

EndIF

High ShutterPin ' Take a Picture

Pause 3000

Low ShutterPin

Pause 2000

w1=0

EndIF

w2=0

EndIF

IF CameraIsONorOFF=1 Then

w1=w1+1

IF w1>=300 Then 'Keep Camera on for 30 seconds for Activity Mode

Pause 1000

Low CameraPowerPin

CameraIsONorOFF=0

w1=0

Sleep 2

EndIF

EndIF

w2=w2+1

IF w2 >= TimeToTurnCamOnToRefreshFlash Then

Sleep 1

Low CameraPowerPin

Sleep 5

Sleep 1

Low CameraPowerPin

w2=0

Pause 1000

EndIF

NAP 3

GoTo lowpower ' Do it forever

End

if pins can be changed to make it work?

Matt, you and I seem to be the only clowns still up at this late hour. :D I have had enough for one night. See ya later.

yeah - you were...I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore as some kind of bug has got me beat down(tired and achin')

Emmet...you should be able to just edit the code as Matt posted and just switch the pin designations and it should work fine.

The code you have posted here as is would be what is referred to as the '08m software' in your error message so once the designation is changed it should become '08m2 software' and matchup with your '08m2 hardware'

btw - looks to me like you have everything you need to change right up top(at the beginning) so may be no need to change all the way through....like one of Gary's well written codes ;)

Edited by wolvenkinde

yeah - you were...I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore as some kind of bug has got me beat down(tired and achin')

Emmet...you should be able to just edit the code as Matt posted and just switch the pin designations and it should work fine.

The code you have posted here as is would be what is referred to as the '08m software' in your error message so once the designation is changed it should become '08m2 software' and matchup with your '08m2 hardware'

Ok anybody know what I would need to change? Also once I get it changed, sinced I would have to change pin codes, would it even work in the ss board?

symbol ShutterPin=0

symbol CameraPowerPin=1

symbol TrailFeederSwitchPin=pin2

symbol MotionSensorInputPin=pin3

symbol LEDpin=4

'symbol PAXE=5

*this part here...should be all I think and not positive on the Trailfeederswitchpin or motionsensorinputpin(shouldn't need to be written pinc.2 or pinc.3 I don't think)-- what cam is this for? I may have one here heacked I could test with later tonight...

symbol ShutterPin=c.0

symbol CameraPowerPin=c.1

symbol TrailFeederSwitchPin=c.2

symbol MotionSensorInputPin=c.3

symbol LEDpin=c.4

'symbol PAXE=c.5

btw- you could run a simulation which should tell you if there is an error

and should work with the ss board

Edited by wolvenkinde

Looks like it will work without changing anything to me. I tried it in the simulator an it works as is. I think it's fine for the 08M and 08M2 with the code you have without changing the pins to the "C".

post-5460-1351442765_thumb.jpg

Looks like it will work without changing anything to me. I tried it in the simulator an it works as is. I think it's fine for the 08M and 08M2 with the code you have without changing the pins to the "C".

post-5460-1351442765_thumb.jpg

So why can't I get it to load then lol :-(

They had some bad program cables at one time. I thought someone on here had one? Do you have a laptop or different computer to try?

Do you have the latest version (updated) or using one from the disk?

Try selecting view/options/check firmware version and see if it can tell what chip you have in.