bowgod02

Portable Usb Phone Charger

I made this portable charger for when I am out checking cams with the gps, or when I am on stand and just playing with the phone online. This should recharge the phone several times I am thinking with the four 18650 4.2v batteries. I wired the batteries so that it puts out 16v, so the 5v regulator brings down the voltage to work with the USB chargers cable that came with the phone. I also wired up one of the LEDs to turn on when the power switch is turned on the charger. The charger will hook to your belt with the cover that comes with the project box so I cut out the top for the switch, led, and the USB cable.

If there is anybody that wants to build their own, I can walk you through the wiring once you get the parts in.

2D760E52.jpg

F085E792.jpg

0A72AC32.jpg

35C0A97F.jpg

You will need the project box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290634958532?ssPag...984.m1497.l2649

5v regulator from radio shack

Two 100 ohm resistors

One 470 ohm resistor

18650 Batteries and battery charger of course.

Edited by bowgod02

Neat project. I believe this means you play with your phone too much when hunting. Looks simple and fairly cheap to build. May have to make one. My brother takes my 9 year old niece out on stand with him at times. And she can surely wear a phone out during a hunt.

That is really cool Ron. So do you take the batteries out and put in another set and charge those? I like that, it's cool. any idea how much more time it will give you?

I don't know and not say it would be any better, just asking, what would be better 4 in series or 2 parallel to 2? I was wondering if the voltage was closer to the regulator voltage would that make it more efficient? Also would it be more amp/hour? I really don't know, just wondering? I need one of those for my portable WiFi setup!

That's one of the reasons I needed this too. My son drained the battery while in the blind Saturday evening so this will help out a lot.

Roger, I'm not sure either. I did have it wired up two and two, but changed it when I seen input to the rugulator could go up to 35v. It's real easy to get to the batteries and wires so I guess I could try it at 16v and then Try it at 8v and see if there is a difference.

I did buy 8 of the 18650 batteries off ebay, so I can always have a fresh set in the portable charger. I didn't charge my phone last night so I can let it drain today while at work so I can try the charger out. What I am hoping for is two or three full charges out of it. Once I see, I'll try it a 8v too.

Now to get that portable wifi thingy you have there.

Ron,

Hooking them up at 8v has to give more run time. As Roger suggested it doubles the mah. Even when getting near drained 2 18650 should put out over 7v. Paired you would have 8000+mah with the batteries you have. I would assume those smart phones have batteries of somewhere around 1500mah? So should give 3+ charges easy.

Ron,

Hooking them up at 8v has to give more run time. As Roger suggested it doubles the mah. Even when getting near drained 2 18650 should put out over 7v. Paired you would have 8000+mah with the batteries you have. I would assume those smart phones have batteries of somewhere around 1500mah? So should give 3+ charges easy.

That's what I was thinking too. 2 X the mah and most regulators are more efficient when the input voltage is close to the output voltage. Ron, build one with 2 X 2 and send it to me and I'll test that one while you test the other one. :D

Just Kidding :P .

I have a few of these. I bought the Duracell's for sale on Woot. I got one for everybody in the family and a couple extras. When we are out somewhere and one of the kids phone dies I pull one out of my pocket. The Duracell is 1800 mah, has a battery level indicator and works pretty good. Just plug it into the usb on the computer or a phone charger in the car or house to charge. Has a USB plug for output. I bet the one you have Ron will put this one to shame.

post-5460-1351530833_thumb.jpg

Those look good too roger. I know Verizon sells a good one that my bro in law has, but I think he paid like 70.00 for it. I just didn't want to pay out that much for what he had and wanted to try and build one that could work as good as his does. My fingers are crossed. I think I am just going to rewire it to work on 8v. It just makes sence after reading what you guys are saying about the regulator. My phone battery is down to 34% so I need to turn on gps or something to get it down to at least 10% to try the charger on it. I want to see how long it takes to charge back up to 100% then check the voltage on the 18650 batteries.

Also, thanks for the links on the other post.

Thanks for your post too. If you like your charger, I'm going to do one later on. Keep us updated!

I did the first charge last night. I started with 8.14v on the 18650's and 17% battery life on my phone. It charged up to 100% and I just checked the battery voltage left on the charger and it reads 7.47v left. I'll plug it back in when the phone drops down again.

Ron,

I changed my mind again. I assume all these phone batteries are 3.7v, right? I think the most efficient way to run this set up would be to have all four batteries in parallel. Run it at 4v and 16000+mah. This way you would not need the voltage regulator and not waste power that way. I am betting that is at least 6 charges or pretty much the ability to run your phone non stop all day if left plugged into the power supply.

If run at 4v would you need the resistors you mentioned or would it be good to go as is?

Ron,

I changed my mind again. I assume all these phone batteries are 3.7v, right? I think the most efficient way to run this set up would be to have all four batteries in parallel. Run it at 4v and 16000+mah. This way you would not need the voltage regulator and not waste power that way. I am betting that is at least 6 charges or pretty much the ability to run your phone non stop all day if left plugged into the power supply.

If run at 4v would you need the resistors you mentioned or would it be good to go as is?

I think it's 5 volts, here is some good info. I have a regulator I got off of ebay that regulates the voltage and the current with pots to set them. That would probably be the best. But maybe not necessary?

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3511

Your are correct about the voltage, 3.7 but they still recommend 5 volts. Some more below.

Charging Voltage

The iPhone uses a charger with a USB adapter. USB offers approximately 5 volts, although there is some minor variation with usage. Any third-party or alternative charging method should also offer approximately 5 volts.

Read more: iPhone Voltage Requirements | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7233172_iphone-vo...l#ixzz2An5nE7TA

The iPhone has a built-in 3.7 volt rechargeable lithium-ion battery, rated at 1150 mAh. This battery requires a charging voltage of 5 volts, which can be acquired from a variety of sources including USB sockets and car cigarette lighter adapters. It's very important that the iPhone receives the correct charging voltage at a suitable current supply.

Ron,

I think the reason they recommend the 5v is that the USB requires the 5v to operate? I thought of the same thing as you but eliminate the USB and wire direct to chargers battery supplyat 4v. That is how I did my last homemade charger for my droid I did have.

Thanks for that read roger. I have been using my iPhone charger for my iPad not realizing they were different. I just unpacked it's charger and it's a lot different and 2.3amp as apposed to 1 amp.

Matt, I could make a nice cam setup out of this iPad.....don't think she would let me though.