Sign in to follow this  
irbowhntr

Ar Guns

been looking into these for a while however for someone who has only been bowhunting for last 20 years I am amazed by so many to choose from...Was thinking about 7.62 x 39 ..I would think that would be good to 300 yds or less... rock river? dpms? s&w bushmaster ... which to get?

Probably be used for pigs coyotes maybe some deer hunting...Was loooking at cheap ammo ..I would assume 223 and 308 nato would be cheap also because of availability

Was actually looking into an AR for coyotes and if I had the money I would look into the .243 WSSM round. You can get the upper and it will fit an mil spec lower. Didn't really look into ammo prices, but there are probably more than a .223. If you go with the .308 you need an AR10 platform and those cost a bit more than the AR15 platform. If you don't mind spending the extra money, there is a 6.5 Grendel round that I believe the military uses. Also, if you go the .223 route make sure whatever AR you buy is chambered for 5.56 NATO as that can shoot both the 5.56 and .233 but a .233 chambered AR cannot shoot the 5.56. Not sure on the exact reasoning, but it is related to the pressure in the NATO rounds compared to a standard .223. Depending on how much accuracy you want, you will be looking at getting a chrome lined barrel and a free float tube. I don't have enough experience with AR's to know if it actually makes a difference or not, but that is the general consensus.

Edited by Full Draw

The 308 will have a lot more knock down power @ 300 yrds, but the ammo is more expensive. My experience is, once you shoot them they are way to fun to put down and a hundred rounds will be no problem with 223 both price and it won't kill your shoulder like a 308. I also think the NATO round will be hard to find in the future, I was fortunate enough to pick up some NATO round brass a few years back.

I got 2 stripped lowers 5.56 is done think ing about the 6.5 grendel for other...just too have something different