Sign in to follow this  
pdskal

Alphamax 35 Rkt

After deer season I decided to give my 2009 Hoyt Alphamax 35 new life. Worked on it myself and fitted it with some new limbs and cams. Went with the new Rocket RKT cams, 29" draw, 60#. Here are some pics I took... As always, can't wait until September rolls around again.

post-8074-1357393565_thumb.jpg

post-8074-1357393605_thumb.jpg

More pics! Enjoy! -Paul

post-8074-1357394132_thumb.jpg

post-8074-1357394144_thumb.jpg

Paul,

What will the mods do for you, I have a Hoyt Maxis and that cam right on the wall is pretty tough for me. I have been considering a new bow that will not be so tight and will give me a small valley to shoot out of.

Paul,

What will the mods do for you, I have a Hoyt Maxis and that cam right on the wall is pretty tough for me. I have been considering a new bow that will not be so tight and will give me a small valley to shoot out of.

TT,

Yes Dave, the 2010 & 2011 Maxxis have the XTR cams and eventhough they are great cams and will shoot lights out once timed and tuned... They will rip your darn shoulder outta place! In my opinion the new RKT cams solve that issue. The geometry of the RKT cam allows for better leverage during the start of the draw, gives you a better valley, then firms up and stays put on the back wall. The RKT's will not take off on you, especially important for a hunting bow, when you could creep a little waiting for that brute of a buck to take another step. The Maxxis already has the arc limbs so you're golden there... Investment would be around $160 to upgrade if you do the work yourself. ~ $100 for RKT's (can be found used on AT) ~ $60 for a new set of strings & cables with proper lengths. Spacers on both axles are the exact same so it makes it an easy swap. In my opinion it is much easier to upgrade your bow this way than to try and sell your old bow and buy a new one...all while paying through the nose to do both.

How do you like the roller guard on the Maxxis? I like the design, but I think it pulls a bit harsh. That's a reason why I like the older style Hoyt's with the cable slide. I think they pull smoother and torque less, but probably splitting hairs with that statement....

Oh, forgot to mention. Doing these mods will void any warranty you might have with Hoyt. Also, you won't get much of any support from Hoyt if you call them and ask "Is it okay to do these mods?" They want to sell new bows, not RKT cams. lol

Good luck with whatever you decide. -Paul

Paul,

I will go shoot a RKT cam bow and see what I think. I am a Hoyt guy but man that edge has cost me some bad shots. Glad that to date it has only been at the range and not in a hunting situation. I do like the roller versus the slide, there does not seem to be any of those unwanted squeaks.

Thanks for the reply

You really should try an Elite.Best valley I've found yet.It makes a huge difference when your drawn back and waiting for a shot.I don't think I'll go back to a Hoyt for a hunting bow unless they come out with something that is as nice to shoot as my Z28.

You really should try an Elite.Best valley I've found yet.It makes a huge difference when your drawn back and waiting for a shot.I don't think I'll go back to a Hoyt for a hunting bow unless they come out with something that is as nice to shoot as my Z28.

Wi_yakker,

I hear ya on the elite..... I have a 2011 New Breed Eclipse to complement my AM35RKT. (Did I mention I like archery. lol). The Eclipse is one heck of a smooth drawing bow, probably similar to the Elites and better than Hoyt xtr's and fuels cams for sure. Split limbs, cable slide, 35 ata, Binary cams with the large limb stops on top & bottom cams.

I just love my Hoyt's too much to not have one around the house. :D

Here's the top cam on the Eclipse:

post-8074-1358171619_thumb.jpg

Very nice.I wish we had a New Breed dealer close.They look like sweet.Where did you pick it up?

I picked it up used online. :o

Some of the best deals are ones you least expect. :lol:

Here's the Eclipse hanging out with me this fall...

post-8074-1358213912_thumb.jpg