Sign in to follow this  
Killet

Recommendations Please

I want to build a cam for my driveway, daytime pics only, descent pic quality and I want it to hold alot of pics so I dont have to dump it every week. My driveway is 1/4 mile long in the woods and I've been seeing strange truck tracks in the sand way back near my house lately. The drive has posted signs on it and I'm concerned of course about whats going on there in the daytime when my wife and I arent there. I'm looking to get pics of vehicles mainly, since the cam will be 100yrds from my house I'm not concerned so much about battery life, I can swap batteries pretty easily for ext power. Thinking about mounting it around 12-15 ft above the ground so it takes a ladder to get to it.

So Im looking for recommendations on a cam that will take good daytime pics and hold alot of pictures so I can go back to them in the event of an event, and reasonably priced so if they see it and destroy it I'm not out a ton,Thanks!

:ph34r:

X2 on the w290, the higher mega pixel camera for what your looking for will be great if you need to zoom in to check a license plate or something the w290 takes great pics.

I know a couple Pannys that would fit your need but I wouldn't say the were cheaper...Fx35 was for sure fast enough to get me plate numbers by my camp....Fx65 is faster but more expensive to. I haven't put it in a build yet though I hacked it coupel weeks ago. Most all the Pannys excel at day pics but really nead slaves at night and most the older models are kinda slow for catching vehicles.

Put up a gate like I did......................... :D

X2 It can be a hassle to have to get out of your vehicle to unlock, drive through and get back out to lock it again but could save you a lot of headache in the end. Get a heavy enough chain and lock so bolt cutters can't be used to get in. Got a buddy that has been doing it for years. You may need to check with your electric power provider to see if they need a key so they can get in during an emergency if needed and you aren't at home. I think my buddy had to do that.

I read an article saying something to the effect that the chain was cut to length somewhere, so it can be cut at the gate.

A camera may not stop a crime, but it will provide evidence.

Get a heavy enough chain and lock so bolt cutters can't be used to get in.

Most any camera will work for day only...I set a p 41 up for a friend and left it for 3 weeks and had 58 pictures of trucks and people trespassing on their driveway. It was mainly set for people dumping garbage. All I did was turn off the flash so nobody could find the camera.

Just hang something from a tree opposite the camera and that will take their eyes off the side of the road where the camera is, most people look the way they are headed and not to the side when trespassing.

good luck,,,,by the way, they had a chained gate and they had 7 locks broken and the chain was cut on many occasions.

cliff

Thanks guys, I cant gate it, long story but my driveway is the only way in for the property behind me and they have a right of way. The guy that owns it is a lawyer and demands the 50' right of way stay open the whole 50' even tho there are many trees growing in the right of way. He wont even consider letting me gate it and if I pursue it in court, well it costs me lots of money and he works for himself for free. When I bought the property 24 years ago and built my house on it we didnt figure it would be a big issue, not the area is getting developed and we are seeing more and more traffic even tho I have 2 "no trespassing" signs at the front. Its a pain in the arse if you know what I mean, I wish I had known more about right of ways when I bought the property, live and learn I guess. Some free advice, make sure you understand fully about right of ways before you buy property with one on it. Make sure you understand what you can and cannot do and go by whats written not whats said.

At this point I just want a record of the vehicles coming and going just in case there is an issue and I need to hunt someone down :)

Any Homebew should work just put it up high and start getting pics, no flash and day only setting with a large media memory once you get some idea then maybe move it down and see if you can get the license plate putting it on an angle might get that. being on an angle might help with a good picture. MAybe a 2 picture burst would also get a decent picture...

LFM