tbass

Advice On An "assault Rifle"

We all have our preferences on brands and such. I would like to buy an AR or something like it that shoots the standard 223. There are a ton of choices, but I want reliability. I've heard good things about the S&W ones, but after the way they caved in and worked with the Clinton administration I try not to. Even though they were so heavily boycotted they went belly up and sold out in bankruptcy. :P

I'm looking to spend between $1000-1400 for one. I want reliability first and foremost. Followed by accuracy second. I know some folks are using them for varmint hunting so accuracy is out there. Any advice would be great.

I have used dpms, colt, SW, bushmaster, and a couple others. They are all reliable. the dpms are pretty reasonable price and solid firearms. I would consider them they also have several dif configurations if you dont want to build your self

Edited by Pinch

The S&W M&P15 is nice one. So is Wyndham Weaponry, and the Sig 556.

If you really want to blow some extra cash check out the Beretta ARX100 that is coming out soon. SWEET!!!

Tony, get ahold of gunboy53 on here, he's a gun dealer and had 2 new AR's for sale now. One is the Windham Which is an exceptional weapon made from the place Bushmasters were made and now employed owned http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopnews.asp?type=Windham Weaponry: An Inspiring Tale

Both of his guns are under $1000 new. Transfer to Pennsylvania is like $25.

He opens at 10:00, here's his number: (304) 387-3124

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thanks for all the info folks. I might try to build my own. I looked at so darn many I couldn't make up my mind. Ammo for the 308 semis are hard to find. I can get my hands on 1000's of rounds of the standard 223. I'm still saying wth silently every time I see the 22lr versions. Now I know why there is such a shortage of the 22lr ammo. Sad day when a guy can't find ammo to take his young kids to the range with any regularity.

tbass.. I don't know how you can find any .223 or .308.. Most around here have restricted the amount you can buy anyways, if you can even find it.

I can find a ton of 223, but I haven't looked for the 308. I have a dillon progressive press, so my ability to reload a ton is there. I decided to drop about 1450 on a Browning A-Bolt 300 RUM. I am going to grab a bushmaster 223 next. darn scopes are pricy. $450 for a 4-12 to get a good one.

Not sure if you pulled the trigger or not, but my best friend is an armorer here in the midwest for his state conservation agency. They tested several AR's before deciding on the S&W M&P15. Rock River Arms came in second. Money was not necessarily an issue although it was part of the contributing factors they had to look at. He actually got what he wanted though.

Ironically enough Rock River and M&P 15 are the two brands that I recommend as well. How you set them up is up to what you like,

I grabbed a bushmaster since they are made in the US. I actually decided against many options because they or their parts were made or assembled out of the country. Proud American here. Ironic that the day is the 4th though.

I grabbed a bushmaster since they are made in the US. I actually decided against many options because they or their parts were made or assembled out of the country. Proud American here. Ironic that the day is the 4th though.

Good move Tony! :smileyflag::smileyflag:

That's what I have, but I must say the accuracy leaves a little to be desired. Still a nice rifle.

post-4396-1373294316_thumb.jpg

That's what I have, but I must say the accuracy leaves a little to be desired. Still a nice rifle.

post-4396-1373294316_thumb.jpg

Thats the one I have, I found the china ammo works the best. Still love the gun and have had loads of fun over the years!