Sign in to follow this  
bigbassmann

Largemouth Bass Mount

I recently decided to try my hand at mounting a bass for myself. Started doing some research on the subject and also bought a DVD by Bill Atkins which proved to be a very valuable tool for a beginner. I caught this 2 1/2lb. bass a couple of weeks ago and took all the measurements I needed, ordered my supplies and got started last Friday with the skinning/fleshing process. After soaking the skin in the preservative solution overnight I got it all mounted on the form Saturday and let it dry a few days with a fan blowing on it. By Wednesday it was completely dry and after doing some Apoxie sculpt work in a few areas I got the airbrush and paints out and got it all painted up. I found a nice piece of cedar branch that I wanted to use to attach the fish to, got it cleaned up a bit and sprayed several coats of clear gloss on the wood to give it a wet look. For a first time fish mount I think it turned out pretty nice. The mouth is open a little too much and that is something I will work on with the next mount I do.

DSC00349_zps57194518.jpg

DSC00348_zps520008ba.jpg

DSC00358_zpscf182c52.jpg

What a great way to showcase your catch and take the plunge DIY!

Very Good start to another Hobby for you . I really think it looks pro ..

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed doing this mount and think I am hooked now. Looking forward to doing another one real soon of another bass or perhaps a crappie or even a bluegill. At this point it really doesn't matter, I want to try them all. :D

Looks professional to me.

Not bad for a first. It only gets better, as with everything else. You opened pandoras box, I assure you that!

Wow.