I Really Broke The Desktop This Time

I had a virus or malware of some sort. Had it where certain words would be underlined and they would become a link to take you somewhere else. So I ran a couple antivirus slash malware programs. And managed to delete part of the Windows boot up. I ordered a restore cd for it. But that will only wipe it clean and start over. Not just fix the boot problem. I have my picaxe programming and some family pictures on there not backed up anywhere. Anyone have any idea how I can get this thing to boot so I can save about 6 files? Then I could wipe it clean and start over.

Any help would be much appreciated.

John

Have you tried safe mode?

If so and you can't get it to boot, you could put that drive in a different computer as an extra drive and then copy whatever files that you need from it. Or, you could buy a new hard drive for your computer, do the Windows restore on it, and then add your old drive as an extra drive and get the files off, or just leave them there.

That makes sense Gary. Not so sure I am that computer savy though. Never been inside the computers and played with them.

I looked in there. Looks like there is only room for the one hard drive in this computer. I can get a used hard drive off Ebay for $20. Wonder how hard it is to make my current drive into an external usb drive?

Hmmm I have an old Windows 98 tower. Wonder if I can just steal the hard drive outta that one.

It will not start in any mode. Tried the hard drive out of the 98 tower and it gets an error running the restore cd on it. So not looking compatible. Think my next step is to get another hard drive like the one in it. Run my restore and setup cd's on that drive and try to make a bootable usb drive from that.

Would have been nice if said computer had a second hard drive slot would have made this an easier process.

I am on my way with this now. I got the drive out of the 98 tower to take the restore and have it up and running. Then I found this External usb hard drive cable on Ebay. So I will be able to make my original drive into an external usb drive to get the files I want off it. Then I can put the original back in the computer and wipe it clean and start over.

Thanks to all who helped with this.

Edited by speed2spare

is your vhard drive a sat or ide take your hard drive out of your tower and change the pins to slave drive it tell you what vpin to change then go to frend house take the side off computer put it on the same ribbon as his drive is on boot the computer then go to my computer and you see your drive it might be [ f ] or [[ g ]] click on it and you can recover what ever is on your drive it work you see good luck ....,

You need something like this:

Boot CD

Look under Recovery Tools