flintlocker

Disconnecting Shutter Cover

21 posts in this topic

Has there been any thought to disconnecting the shutter cover on the sonys or minolta's so that there is no noise when the camera powers on? No gears turning to open the cover, it is open all the time.

Just thinking out loud. Would make a very, very quiet camera.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I have one Sony that doesn't open the shutter cover and I have to fix it anyway. Maybe I should try it out with this one. Will let you know if I figure it out.

LarLar (he's the schiznit with this stuff!!) told me how to disconnect the shutter on the P32's. It's easy to do, and if you guys are interested I have a photo that show's the details of what you need to do to disconnect the shutter on the P32. Let me know!

LOL......

Be careful when you do this. If you disconnect the motor you will have an error code. just pop off the gear and glue open the shutter slide. the motor still goes on, but is substantially more quiet.....

elkaholic,

Do you remember what error code you saw? I have disconnected the shutter on all of my Sony cams and it seems to work fine for me without an error code. The error may have been a result of something else at that moment?

To do it on a fully functioning cam, all I do is power on the cam so that the shutter opens. Then, drop out the batteries. Next, open the cam so that you can see the left side of the board. There will be a little white plug with one red and one black wire near the shutter motor. It's right on the board surface and very easy to get at. I use hemostats to unplug it. I then wrap the plug in electrical tape and tuck it under the board. Then, put the cam back together.

You can put the batteries back in and the shutter will always be open.

This sounds like a good idea. It would make it silient...

Mr. Pike... sounds easy enough dissabling the gear motor lead. I will have to give that a try.

Thanks for sharing

Dan

Heres SBF's picture that he sent me when I had a bad shutter gear . Pretty easy just watch the ribbon that goes to the back half of the cam .

Don

I never really thought of disconnecting a perfectly good cam......... my thoughts of if it aint broke dont try fixing it........

It could have been something to do with the cam...........P-52

Doing this is definately going to make the Sony quiet.......

WOW works like a charm. And you want to talk about quiet. I would have never thought about doing that Mr. Pike, thanks a bunch.

Now this is cool. :cool: Mine got stuck open one time while messing around putting a connector in but the motor still made noise--I almost left it that way since it wouldn't hurt anything.. but the 'fix it' bug got the better of me. Now without the darn noise, I'll definately give it a try. Thanks for bringing this up flintlocker. :cheers:

One thought is, I wonder if the shutter noise might be what gets the deer to glance over at the camera for those nice straight-on shots of the bucks (or does in my case) people have been getting?? Guess I'll see after I try it. :ThumbsUp:

HN, I think that is exactly why they look. Everyone has their own preferences and some deer may be spooked by the noise. I personally don't think most are, and like the looking at the cam shots. Kind of like a squeeker going off.

That's what I was thinking. Now I'm trying to decide.... quiet... face shot..... quiet.... face shot.....

decisions, decisions....

just might have to make another camera then I don't have to decide.... :blink: