muleymadness

Sony H70 - External Audio Help

What if there is NO SOLDER on the ribbon cable, it's looks like this except the solder on the end is completely gone. All I have is a little shorter end, I tried to strip off the top plastic on the ribbon to expose the copper for contact.

Thoughts, if I 'tinned' the wire will it solder to this tine exposed copper wire??

post-7268-1374261683_thumb.jpg

I tinned the exposed trace, and got it to stick 'or so I thought'. Put it all back together and still NOTHING. I can hear some background noise out of the external microphone when I play back a recorded video. What does that mean? Has to mean something right?

I don't have to hook the negative wire to common correct? I mean I should be able to just connect positive and negative to the mic and in theory if I don't mess up it should work great correct??

I thought it would work this time, but nothing.

Try listening to it on your computer. maybe your mic isn't compatible with the camera. You can try soldering the old mic onto the wires and see if that makes a difference.

check that, the background noise IS NOT coming from the external mic. Coming from inside the camera itself somewhere.

Before I hacked it I played video back and could hear the audio fine, but nothing now. I soldered the old mic back on and still NOTHING?? Man I'm confused. :)

Can't try listening on computer, as I don't have the right cable and left my card reader out of town. But shouldn't matter as I could hear it before the hack and now not.

Edited by muleymadness

Nope on voltage reading (nothing) while recording, could cage/size of wires be to big on this external mic I bought?

I used the same wires on the mic I bought and soldered the old mic on to the end of them, not luck.

someone correct me if i'm wrong but there is a mic. for picking up the audio ,and a speaker to hear the audio , right?and is the volume for the speaker is turned up all the way on the cam?

My volume is turned up all the way. I have another Sony H70, just tried a video/audio recording on it. It has not been hacked, and it plays back the audio JUST FINE and plenty loud to hear. So it's something I've done wrong.

I do have an 2 external wires soldered to the battery holder for external power (not attached to any wires/batteries yet). Soldered to the positive and negative terminals on the battery holder. But that should effect anything right?

Edited by muleymadness

No, if it's stuck you should be good. Try checking to see if you get a voltage reading using the positive wire from the mic and the external battery negative. Remember the camera has to be recording to get the reading.

Well I finally got it to work, it's a Miracle. :)

I desoldered the wires to the external mic I bought, put new 30 guage wires for positive and negative. I then re-soldered those wires to the original mic that comes with the Sony H70 and WALLA SUCCESS!! :)

Only 2 full days of work, no big deal. Ha Ha

Thanks for your guys replies, it kept me going or I might have just given up.

I'm not sure if the guage of wires was to big on the external mic (don't think so). But maybe??

Or if I just didn't get good enough connections on the solder joint, looked good every time. Anyway glad I have some audio.

Glad you got it running.