Sign in to follow this  
WCork

Best Way To Check Your Build For Leaks?

Whats the best way to check your build for leaks without (hopefully) damaging anything inside if you do have a leak? Thanks

Before you add any cam or Board and you got your Glass and HPWA installed . I submerge the case under water with tissue in it and check it for leaks. We call it a"Dunk Test"

Completely submerge it in water for 8-10 minutes and watch for air bubbles. If you got air bubbles you got a leak. Nice thing is the stream of air bubbles tells you where the leak is.... "May the force be with you!!"

I use food coloring in the water and a cut to fit paper towel in the case. If the case leaks, the food coloring on the towel will give you a pretty good idea of where the leak is.

In addition to the above, I put em the shower for a few minutes with paper towels inside with the camera an board. Turn em over an around a bit, make sure it's just luke warm water, to hot or cold can cause problems.

Just don't let your wife or kids see ya taken a shower with your trail cams, to many questions and comments, not all good either :roll2: :roll2: :roll2:

Dunk and running water test....you can actually get a "false positive" with just a dunk test because the water creates even pressure all the way around the case and spot that let's water in during a storm, may not let it in while it is submerged. The longer you can leave it submerged, the more likely if there is a space it will show up. It is risky, but you should always dunk test your final completed units. Cams and components can put pressure on the case and compromise the seal thus creating a leak. Can be big problems if you only test before hand and think everything is good....

Hope this helps.

Joe

And be sure you do not have any batteries in the unit when doing the dunk test...

I found out that a case being outside in the heat or direct sun and a sudden rain storm comes up may cause a pelican case to leak. I took the unit and submerged it and no bubbles were present after just opening it up with water inside of it! When you have the case under water, squeeze the case and THEN.... see if you have any bubbles. That's how I was able to find my leaks and only that way on this one!