Sign in to follow this  
bat

Savage 111 Xp Trophy Hunter, Remington 700, M700?

I'm buying my grandson a new rifle for his birthday coming up plus getting my first ever "lefty" hunting rifle. Never had a lefty and have shot righty all my life even thought I shoot left handed. Ok enough on me.

I got him one order that is a Savage 111 xp trophy hunter I think is the way it is listed in 270 caliper. Mine will be just like it except it will be left handed. On his I also have been looking at the Remington 700s which I have one and really like its tack driving ability.

I was also looking at Walmarts Remington M700 in the 270... question how good are these you get from Walmart? Much cheaper I can see that but do they get a special rifle discount as a big buyer or is it a rifle made just for them. I did a search and read a lot of links on this subject but am not totally convinced on this one. If you have one from WW how does it do for you.

Give me some input guys, my time is running out on buying one for the grandson. Thanks, bat

Edited by bat

It shows M700 on the side where you usually see the 700 stamp Full Draw. Thanks for the input... others???

My Dad has a Savage 111(synthetic stock) in .308 and it is a great shooting gun....can't tell you about the Walmart M700 but would guess its more or less just a cheaper stock and trigger package perhaps.

It's best to stay away from but chain stores and buying guns they often are made cheaper. A true Remington 700bdl or cdl would be your best bet. Of the ones you have listed I can't help you with another great gun is a tikka t-3

I don't think you can go wrong with a Remington 700 CDL for hunting. Lightweight, detachable box magazine, awesome accuracy, will probably cost $700-800 though. As said I am sure Walmart sells a cheaper 700 version with a plastic Tupperware stock but it would work for hunting just fine.

Thanks guys for the replies.... I will probably pick up whatever I decide tomorrow or Thursday. Hang in there whereever there is cold weather.. we are definitely thinking about all of you. :)

Boy that was a trip.... the dealer I was buying from sold me a Savage XP Trophy Hunter that comes with a Nikon scope the other day for the grandson and ordered me a left handed model just like it but left handed.... Now this is usually a trusted dealer, got home and in the box was a Savage Axis rifle..without the scope of any kind...duh! I should know better then to trust anyone lately I must have "hey I'm stupid I'll trust you just stick it to me" label as I have been put to the test the last few months. Called him up and he laughed telling me he had already caught that... but didn't bother to call me yeah! He told me to back that one back Thursday and he would ordered a new one that was right for the grandson and a left one for me.

Went to get them Thursday, the lefty was out of the box no poly on it, bolt already in it, ready to go.... red flags already. Then I checked the righty, perfect but then the young man (son) told me the stocks were different the lefty had the old stock on it.. flag! I rechecked the lefty and there plain as day were mark where it had been in a rack for awhile showing on the barrel. The dealer came by about that time and I told him I would take the one for the grandson but the lefty was a used rifle. He never would admit it had been in the rack and not a new out of the box rifle... BIG FLAG! I left there never to go back to him or recommend him to anyone... in fact may even help others to stay away from this one because of his stupid pride in not admitting he was trying to pull another slick one on me. Getting where I want trust anybody anymore!

Sorry just needed to vent as we say! Think I will just search the pawn shop for a used lefty for myself now... at least will know I will probably only get a used one up front. :censored: Now where is that label, I got to change it to "getting smarter so don't even try it!"

Edited by bat