dgrad

First Test Pics

Can you show a pic of the front. I want to see how you did the snorkel on this monster. :-)

Matt, I really did not want to post pics of the outside of the case until it's finished, but here they are. The snorkel was easy. It is a 1-1/2" black ABS coupling. That coupling is also 1/1/2" long. There is a ridge midway inside the coupling that has to be dremmeled down flush or below the surface. The camera lens extends out 1-3/16" beyond the trim ring on the front case. Then I cut a 1/8" thick PVC ring from a piece od 1-1/2" PVC pipe. Then I glued that inside the coupling recessed a tad more that the thickness of the lens. I have a very small shadow down in the bottom right corner of the pics, but that is not a problem-.

I intended to drill a hole next to the flash opening to be able to install a 3/8" galvanized pipe nipple to vent the sound chamber to the outside. But when I held the galvanized pipe cap in place during night testing, it caused a small shadow. I drilled a 9/16" hole in top of the case and screwed the nipple down penetrating the bladder. You can see that nipple in a pic above. I need to remove that nipple and shorten it until the elbow seats on the case. The cap will be flush with the face of the elbow. I decided to finish the case today and take this to the field tomorrow.

Bob

post-5081-1391119405_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

I drilled two 3/4" holes near the corners of the case. I cut two pieces of 1/2" PVC pipe about 5/16" long. Then I Gooped the switches inside the PVC ring, and then Gooped them to the case. Then I cut two pieces of 1/2"PVC coupling and Gooped them over the switches. Then I used Bondo to build up around the switches to strengthen the connection. Switch on right is the motion kill switch. The three pole switch on the left switched the camera from pictures to video. I removed the battery holder from the LCD board, and then I soldered a 9 volt connector to the board. Velcro tape holds the battery between the switches.

post-5081-1391120844_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

I made templates for everything so the next builds will be easy. I made templates from scrap 1/4" oak plywood. I made two templates, one with the bladder and one without. I used the front case from the camera to trace around on this bladder template. I did not realize until the camera was back together that I had the case upside down when I traced it. I drilled 1/16" holes to locate everything. Lay the template in the case, drill the pilot holes and then remove it. This marks the case and the bladder

Bob

post-5081-1391121952_thumb.jpg

post-5081-1391122009_thumb.jpg

These pop-up flashes are recessed a bit as compared to a flash mounted on the face of the camera. When you drill a one inch hole, you get the shadows like in these first H90 test pics. I had to dremmel and file the flash opening larger, and it ends up being a rectangle These pics were taken with the H90 set on intelligent auto, and the camera used ISO 800. The camera was 14 feet from the deer feeder.

post-5081-1391146820_thumb.jpg

post-5081-1391146862_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

I received the third camera in the mail today. Tonight I took that camera along with the almost finished build up to show my neighbor Brent I walked out to his deer feeder and took this pic with the HX20V on superior intelligent auto. The camera used ISO 1600 for this pic. You can see my dog in the background

post-5081-1391147296_thumb.jpg

i have to get in the truck and drive to go see my neighbors. I took the cameras to another neighbor that lives two miles down the creek his afternoon. We were sitting on his deck when I took this picture of the gazebo. I wanted to show how you can zoom in on these pics without losing much resolution. The camera was again on superior intelligent auto. It was 3:00 Pm on a cloudy overcast dat, and the camera used ISO 800 for this pic. I cropped the pic when I got home. Thet still have their Christmas decorations up.

post-5081-1391148949_thumb.jpg

Same picture cropped

post-5081-1391149118_thumb.jpg

Cropped again

post-5081-1391149245_thumb.jpg

i was checking to see if Santa was awake, so I cropped it one more time. This is ISO 800, imagine what these pics would be like with ISO 200 or even 400

post-5081-1391149404_thumb.jpg

I went out to do more testing tonight, but soon after I got outside fog rolled in and that ended that. We live on a mountain road, and the road crosses the creek behind our house. The bridge in this picture is about 80 yards from our house. The 6X6 treated posts are on six foot centers. I sat my coffee cup on one post where I was standing and walked out in the center of the road and took this picture. Counting the posts that hold the guardrail, starting with the post where I was standing, I counted 14 posts in this picture. The first post on the left in this pic is number 4. I stepped this off and the flash range for this camera is between 100 and 120 feet. I need to do this again on a clear night, and set a white bucket at 100 feet and every ten feet after that. I programmed the camera for this pic at ISO 3200. Tomorrow I need to see what day pics look like at that setting

post-5081-1391245200_thumb.jpg

Pine tree at ten feet before fog rolled in ISO 3200

post-5081-1391245373_thumb.jpg

My dog in the fog at six feet ISO 3200

post-5081-1391245781_thumb.jpg