dgrad

New Set With A New Camera

We don't have a subforum for camera sets, so I thought I would post this down here. I made my favorite set today, and I finally got the new Hx20v on a set where it has a chance to get some great pictures. This is a dual set, and I set this up to get pics of bull elk and cougars. Since 2010, I have had more than 7,000 cougar pics from this set and even more elk pics. This first pic was taken by the Hx20v after I got it mounted on the tree. There is a trace mineral block and a five gallon jug of garbanzo beans next to my dog. This is the view the camera will see.

post-5081-1392355001_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

In this pic, you can the camera mounted on the tree, and I have dumped some of the beans on and around the mineral block. As soon as I can find a road-killed deer, I will put it near the camera where my glove is laying. The carcass doesn't bother the elk, but if a cougar is around that will bother them.

post-5081-1392356481_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

I took this pic with an H55. It was 1:00 o'clock in the afternoon and because I was in the shade, the camera fired the flash. The Hx20v will not fire the flash until it is dark, and I like that.

post-5081-1392356842_thumb.jpg

This has been an exciting set over the years, and Buddy has treed six cougars on the set. He always runs ahead and if a cat is at the camera or anywhere nearby, he takes off after it. I thought I would share some pics from one of those experiences, and these pics were taken three years ago. The trailcam was an h55. We had fresh snow that night, and this cougar found the set at 1:00am. My lens was covered with snow and ice, and since that day I have used plastic coffee cans to keep snow, ice and rain off of my camera, and this has not happened since. In the first pic, the cat had just walked and stood glaring at the camera. This was the first pic, and the AFI is what caused him to turn and look. You can see the shape of the carcass under the snow

post-5081-1392357581_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

In this pic, the cat has his paw on the carcass, and he is about to turn it over

post-5081-1392358200_thumb.jpg

This was a small deer, a fawn of the year, but it weighed 60 or 70 pounds. here the cat is about to grab it by the belly.

post-5081-1392358522_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the cat leaving with the carcass, and he is not dragging it, he has it by the belly and he is walking away with it like a coyote would do with a rabbit in it's mouth. I started staking my deer carcasses after this to keep them in front of the camera. we checked this camera that morning, and I saw the carcass was gone. I also saw the cat's tracks, but there were no drag marks

post-5081-1392359180_thumb.jpg

That morning, Buddy, my son Craig and I went to check the camera. buddy beat us there and he is running around and it's like which way did he go

post-5081-1392359476_thumb.jpg

Here Craig and I are walking around and looking things over, but Buddy has already took off after the cat

post-5081-1392359651_thumb.jpg

The cat's tracks compared to my boot prints

post-5081-1392359767_thumb.jpg

Where is the deer. No drag marks and nothing but cat tracks

Where is the deer. No drag marks and nothing but cat tracks

post-5081-1392359906_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

Here you can see Buddy on the cats trail just about to go into the timber

post-5081-1392360397_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

This was all that was left of the carcass when we found it, and the cat was nowhere arounf

post-5081-1392360624_thumb.jpg

a few pics from the set. these were all taken by an H70

post-5081-1392360826_thumb.jpg

post-5081-1392360883_thumb.jpg