dgrad

New Set With A New Camera

couple more

post-5081-1392360995_thumb.jpg

post-5081-1392361042_thumb.jpg

pretty slick set up nice pics ...where do you get the beans from are they cheap?

Thanks for the comments. I ususally start this set in early December, so I am a little late this year, and there is not much time left for the set. The bulls start dropping their antlers in four weeks, and by mid-March, the weather has started to warm up and road-kills are not fun to mess with in warm weather. Plus I have had pictures of bears as early as March 10 in the past. I just hope I can find a carcass soon. When I can get a carcass to the set, I will go back that night and call with one of my long-range predator calls. If there is a cat within a mile that call will start it toward the camera and set. two years ago, I sat down by my camera and started calling. I was wearing a small LED headlamp. As I called, I slowly turned my head searching for eyes. After about 20 minutes, I spotted a glaring set of eyes slowly approaching me from about 100 yards downhill. I got up and started walking back to my truck and that cat was on the carcass within five minutes after I had left.

Wheat and garbanzo beans are two of the largest crops grown by local farmers. Most of the beans are exported to China, but the Blue Mountain Seed Company that handles the exports sells surplus beans as animal feed. A 100 pound bag sells for $15.00. Beans are cheaper than corn, and both deer and elk will ignore corn if beans are present. The beans are only available as animal feed in eastern washington state. They are cheap camera bait.

Bob

I got this camera baited for cats now. It was raining this morning, so I didn't open the case to look at the pics so far. I put a shim behind the camera to cant it down so it could see the carcass area better, but I don't want this much of the carcass showing in the pics. I will fix this next time. Eventually I will cover the carcass with grass so the camera can't see it, but for now I want it exposed so the eagles, ravens and magpies can see it because they will attract the cats to the set. It has been very windy the past few days, and as soon as this windy spell passes, I will go up and call with my predator call. I will also put a furfinder in the tree above the camera. This set is only a mile from our house, and as soon as something finds the set, i will be checking the cam every day to keep it baited. I dug a shallow hole and put the mineral block and beans in there so the camera can't see those either

Bob

post-5081-1392504073_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

It has been ten days now since I took the carcass to this set, and not a single picrure so far. just pics of me and Buddy when we went to check the camera. For six days we had high winds and the anumals stay down low to get out of the wind. Now that the wind is gone, we have heavy fog. The birds can't

find the carcass in this fog. But I think there is a bobcat or a cougar in the area because on the hike to the camera, Buddy took off after something. He usually beats me to the camera, but he never showed up there. When I got back to the truck, I had to wait for almost an hour before he came back. On my hike to the camera after Buddy disappeared in the fog, I found the large tracks of a solitary bull elk, and the tracks were going in the same direction as my camera, but 100 yards before I got to the camera, the bull changed directions. This first pic was of me approaching the camera. At least I know the camera is working. I put a fufinder in the tree above the camera, and that should help. Next time up I need to take a knife and open up the carcass like you going to gut it. That will let all kinds of foul smell out and that will hep also. The second pic is of the bull elk tracks that I was following on the way to the set.

Bob

post-5081-1393469593_thumb.jpg

The bull tracks

post-5081-1393469807_thumb.jpg

Do you take anything with you for protection when you go up there? I know I would if there was a big cat like that around!

Matt, My dog is all the protection that I need. In 2008, Buddy and I went down to the bear tree to check my camera right at dusk. When I entered the clearing where the set was, Buddy was all excited running around with his nose to the ground, and he took off on a trail downhill toward the creek. I figured that a bear had been at the set before we arrived. I sat down by the tree and started reviewing my pics. I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, and I figuerd it was Buddy coming back, but when I looked up

I saw a large cougar 20 yards away. The cat was down in the sneak mode like your house cat sneaking across your lawn after a bird. The cat was focused on me and was trying to get close before it launched it's attack. But when I looked up, the cat froze. It realized that I was not what it thought I was. This startled me at first, and I was just about to holler for Buddy, when out of nowhere, Buddy entered the clearing like a freight train and broadsided that cat. The cat rolled over and got up and headed for the closest tree which was ten yards from where I was sitting. I took my camera out of the case and walked over and took pics of the cat. Then I put the camera back on the tree and we went home. I could tell lots of stories like this of experences that I have had with Buddy. Buddy was bred for predator hunting. He is half Airedale and half Plott hound. He has the nose of a Plott, and the fighting instincts of an Airedale. He is the sheriff in these parts.

Bob

Edited by dgrad

How would you guys like to meet this cat face to face in the fog? This is a big cat, and this pic was taken by an H70 on this same set two years ago. This was also a foggy day. Our state record cat was killed by another Bob that owns the ranch that borders our property. That cat weighed 202 pounds, and some of the local ranchers think that the cat in this picture would be a new state record if anyone ever kills it. I will never understand why a big powerful cat like this is afraid of a 60 pound dog, but they are

post-5081-1393566193_thumb.jpg

Great stories Bob (and Buddy)!

I will start feeding the bears down at the bear tree in 3 or 4 weeks. I have had pics of bears down there as early as March 19 in past years. The bear tree is 200 yards down the creek from our house. Once I start that set, I carry two five gallon buckets of food down to the tree every evening about an hour before dark. By May, there will be bears down there waiting for me to bring the food. We have lots of bears here, and I have had pics of as many as 25 different bears in one summer. I will have plenty of pics, videos and stories about the things that will happen on that set later on. Buddy loves that set and there is nothing he likes better than chasing and fighting with bears. One evening about five years ago, I was on my way down to the tree and Buddy was ahead of me because he always beats me to camera sets. When I was about 40 yards from the tree, I heard Buddy start barking, and he only barks when he has something treed. When I got there, I saw that he had a small bear cub treed across the clearing about 40 feet from the camera tree. I sat my buckets down by the camera tree and I started walking across to where Buddy had the cub treed. I got my camera out and was getting ready to take pics of the cub. Then I heard a loud CRACK up in the aiir behind me. When I turned around to look, I saw there was a second cub up in the same tree that the camera was on. A small treel limb the cub was standing on broke. The cub was scared and it decided to come down out of the tree and get the heck out of there. Buddy saw the cub coming down, and he came running over after the second cub. He grabbed one of tha cubs hind feet and was trying to pull the cub off of the tree. Well that cub started bawling. This all happened in just a few sceonds, and I am thinking where's momma bear. Well momma bear came running downhill to where we were and she was very upset. Buddy let the cub go and he tirned and met momma bear head on. They got into a fight and I took off headed back home. When I got home, My wife asked me where Buddy was and I told her what had happened. She got really upset at me and told me that I was gonna get Buddy killed one of these days. About two hours later, Buddy came home.

Bob

Love the stories Bob, looking forward to bears. :)

I like Buddy already!! He is a hero for sure.

One of my Uncle's Walker hounds saved me from a stray German Shepard many years ago. Not as exciting a story as the cat story though it was a fight to the death until my Uncle shot the German Shepard. I was 12 or 13 at the time and almost wet myself!!

Bill