BUCKSOH

Gun Guys

Tired of the ole 870, I was just looking for a single shot, that takes 3.5", H&R has a 12ga, any experience with this gun, pattern wise, or maybe a 10ga

Do they make a single shot with the a thumb hole or pistol grip.

I'd like a pump camo with pistol grip and red-dot/scope, but hate to spend that kind of money when a single shot can do the same?

Are single shots drilled and tapped for a scope?

Thanks guys, not big into guns, searched a lot and coming up with nothing, like to hear from you guys.

Gun shops around me don't help much, epically when its a small $ amount.

I have a BPS 10 (Browning Pump Shotgun) in 10ga. and I love it. Camo synthetic stock and forearm. Kicks like a mule but I killed 2 birds this year with it at over 80 yds.

Watch those single shots they are going to kick like crazy!!! Especially in 3.5" and 10ga. I have a 3.5" 870 sps and shoot federal heavy shot through it and it's a great shooting gun. Even that gun kicks hard with the heavy shot.

Edited by johnnydeerhunter

Single shot will kick like a borrowed mule. If you don't have false teeth now you will if you do it will kick them out lol.. I use a Remington 11-87 now. Had a mossberg 835 ultimag 3.5 and boy did that son of a gun kick. If I can't get them in a 40 to 50 I just won't shoot I don't want dentures

Edited by Gadestroyer74

Thanks Guy, and yes I have heard those single shots kick, as long as I have a bird on the ground I'll stink it up, but it may hurt more if I miss, like to stay cheap is one reason the single shot is attractive.

My brother has a old single shot 12ga and that thing is lethal, killed many birds on out at 60 yards.

Going to look more this weekend, hope to have one by then.

Thanks for the replies.

Very true Johnny, maybe I can find a real good friend to sight it in, but at the same we use slug guns for our deer gun season that seems to work, I sight it in every year, 3.5 mags. Should be about the same, except my slug gun is not as light.

Pound for pound the slug guns are probably pretty close if you're shooting a single shot and full bore slug. If it's a semi, bolt or pump the action opening/releasing reduces some of the recoil. If your shooting a sabot slug it's probably only a 5/8 or maybe 3/4 oz slug versus a 1, 1-1/8 or even 1-1/4 oz. of bird shot. The lighter weight of the gun will make a huge difference too. Not to mention the tighter choke tubes usually used with turkey guns vs. the more open bore for a slug.

I use a NEF (or H&R?) single shot with Nitro shells. It kicks pretty good, but it's not like you shoot them 25 times! I sighted it in with a Bushnell red dot, and I shoot it once before each season to check and have never had to adjust it. I did add a different choke I used a Jellyhead and have another (oldfartitis prevents me from recalling it's brand). That said, I am not sure, with the advent of 3.5 inch shells, the 10-gauge has anything much over a 12 any more.

post-4396-1393525775_thumb.jpg post-4396-1393525790_thumb.jpg

I know you said you were tired of the 870 etc but have you ever considered the 870 in 20 gauge ?

When paired with heavier than lead shot, Environmental Nitro's, Federal Heavyweight turkey loads in 3" 1 1/2 oz of straight 7 shot and a decent choke tube [TruGlo non-ported .550 comes to mind] you can have a fun to carry turkey killing machine that is effective to at least 40 yards and possibly more with very little kick at all.

Sounds impossible and I thought so too but did my research, bought the little 20 Rem Express pump chambered for 3 inch shells, added a red dot sight, and it is not at all unusual for me to place anywhere between 180-230 shot in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. I have not shot a bird inside of 45 yards that I have not easily recovered and after toting an 12 gauge pump around for 20 years it is almost like I am carrying a toy.

Do a search on the turkey forums, you might be very surprised the amount of people who have made the switch from the old reliable 12 gauge.

http://www.randywakeman.com/Federal20GaugeTurkeyLoad.htm

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?board=10.0

A few 40 yard pattern pictures posted and typical of what I am getting.

http://www.grandslamnetwork.com/network/vi...=216&t=3648

Edited by michiganbowbender

Unless you just want something turkey specific, there's nothing wrong with an 870, Benelli super 90, something like that.. it really doesn't matter unless you just cant get them to come in closer than 40 yards. I stalked a flock and shot my fall turkey last year with an 870 using a low brass 7 1/2 quail load wtih modified chocke at 30 yards because it was all I had at the time. Knocked it dead as a door nail. I shot a lot of turkeys over the years with quail or pheasant loads back before the industry started pushing more expensive loads with more pellets, more kick, and more dough.