dgrad

Hunting Elk Sheds

First a little history about this bull. The bull is known locally as the Club Bull. I got my first trailcam pics of this bull back in December 2007, and my camera then was a W55. That year his right antler was a two foot spike with a club sticking out from just above the antler burr. That club looked like a small fist mounted on a piece of a broomstick. These are pics of this bull taken by one of my W230 pocket cams back in November

There is a local antler collector that has an add in the local nwspaper offering a very large amount of money for this set of antlers. He has four sets of antlers from this bull. He did not find any of the antlers, he bought them all. He has more money than brains in my opinion W230 pics from November

post-5081-1394504748_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

another

post-5081-1394504869_thumb.jpg

One more

post-5081-1394504976_thumb.jpg

There have been 4 or 5 bulls hanging around a mineral lick where I have my Hx20v camera. This is the rebuild with the Yeti board. The club bull was one of those bulls. My neighbor Brent can see this lick from a picture window in his living room. I told Brent last night that I was going to go check that camera this morning. Brent called me at first light and asked me to hold off checking that camera because the club bull was just above the lick, and he has dropped the club antler during the night. We watched the bull this morning until he enterd the timber to bed down for the day. I went back to Brent's house at 3:00PM, and just after I arrived two bulls came out of the timber about 500 yards down from where they had entered that morning. We figured the bulls had moved down through the timber during the day toward the mineral lick. Brent and his wife Adena decided to go on their 4-wheeler all the way around on top above the bulls.

They planned to slip down into the area where they had seen the bulls at first light, and to look around for the club antler in that area. I stayed at their house to watch and glass for the bull if he ever came out of the timber, and to see if he still had his left antler. I took my spotting scope with me but I never took it out of the truck. I have a new camera now that more or less makes a spotting scope obsolete. I can zoom out to 20X and take a pic, and then view the pic and zoom out to 20x again on he pic. I took this pic for reference with no zoom. The red line from the bottom points at a mineral lick 500 yards away where my camera is. the yellow line points at where the first bulls appeared when they came out of the timber. Those bulls were at least 6oo yards away. The red line on top points to where I first spotted Brent and Adena when they came into view. They left the 4-wheeler back 200 yards and walked in

post-5081-1394507018_thumb.jpg

This pic was when I first spotted them up on top walking in. They were about 1,000 yards away at the time. After spotting them, I lost track of where they went because I was glassing with my binos and taking pics of the bulls I could see.

post-5081-1394507582_thumb.jpg

I took about 50 pics of these two bulls, they were 600 yards away and the only bulls that I saw. there was a light rain all day, and I was shielding the camera under my raincoat. Some pics are beter than others because it is hard to hold the camera pefectly still. I just bought a 50"tripod on Ebay for this camera, and I can carry that in my backpack

post-5081-1394508511_thumb.jpg

another

post-5081-1394508630_thumb.jpg

Nice Bob, as usual.

At 5:30 I decided to go sit in my truck to get out of the rain. I was still watching for the club bull to come out but he never did. Then I heard the sound of Brent's approaching 4-wheeler coming up from behind. I got out of my truck, and I saw they had the seven point left antler from the club bull on their 4-wheeler. They told me they walked right upon the bull still packing the left antler. He was still bedded down, and when he jumped up to run away, the antler popped off, landed on his back and then rolled off onto the ground

post-5081-1394509327_thumb.jpg

Adena holding the shed. Tomorrow we begin the search for the other side. These are not good pics because of the rain. I will get better pics later, and we are just getting started. We will be living with the elk for a few weeks.

Bob

post-5081-1394509811_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

I took this pic while I was sitting in my truck. I had the window rolled up halfway so I could sit the camera on the glass to steady it. The whitetail doe at the lick is 500 yards away. The yellow line points at my trailcam mounted on a post. The Yeti board in that cam is on rapid pics mode. Brent called me just after dark tonight and told me three bulls were in front of the camera just before dark, and the flash has been firing like crazy since dark. I will check the camera tomorrow. The camera will be full of pics and I am sure it needs batteries.

Bob

post-5081-1394511962_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

Thanks befus and John, John I promise that you will love this camera. no way I will ever be without it, at least until I can find an Hx50v I can afford. i took lots of pics today. These muledeer does were at least 100 yards away.

Bob

post-5081-1394513379_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

Good luck & keep us posted. :ThumbsUp:

Man! pictures and stories like this keeps the fire burning in an otherwise dull part of year! When you can feel the enthusiasm of people involved and hopeful for their achievement it's great story! I'll be waiting for the next chapter and a picture of club. Great pics and good luck.

I go backbacking/camping in Co a couple of times every year. I see a few Elk, deet and bear sign. I need to figure out how to incorporate both hobbies together.