dgrad

Hunting Elk Sheds

Everything is on hold for now. We tracked this bull today, and we have the area where he was when he lost his first antler narrowed down. But we have to stay out of the area for now bcause we don't to run the other large bulls out of the area. Buddy found two cougar kills that happened over winter, both were yearling elk. And I saw the first bear tracks of the year, a very large boar. I called the day old bread store in town this evening, and told them I was ready for my first load of bear food. I told them a week ago I would need a load soon, so they have been getting it ready. I take them pictures of the bears. I have two ground blinds where I can sit and watch the bears, one is 20 yards away, and the other is 70 yards away. I have been feeding the bears like this for 21 years. Before I had trailcams, I had my camcorder set-up on a tripod in the blind. About 15 years ago when one of my sons was 15, the bread store gave me about thirty full sized pies, apple, cherry and a few lemon meringue pies. One evening, I took the food down and set it up for the bears. I took one of the lemon meringue pies along. That pie was in a tinfoil pan with a clear plastic cover. I sat it on the ground and removed the plastic cover. then I walked back to the house to get my camcorder. My son Wade came back with me to sit in the blind to watch the bears. we always sit in the 20 yard blind, but some of our friends that like to come and watch the bears will not sit that close, so that's why we have a 70 yard blind. Wade and I were back down there in 5 minutes after I had left. When we walked up, there was already a large black boar there eating that pie. When the bear heard us walk up, he turned around and stood up on his hind feet. I am 5'11'' and weigh 180. That bear was 6'4" at least and weighed 400 or more, and we are standing there face to face with this bear. Wade whispered, "Oh My God!"

If you have seen on TV where they smash a cream pie in somebody's face, well that's what this bear looked like. The bear was standing there bobing his head around with that long pink tongue working around his face cleaning that white meringue off. While all the time looking right at us. And I know what he was thinking, "You bring more pie ???" We went over and sat down in the blind and laughed about this for a few minutes. After the bear saw we had no more pie, he turned around plopped back down on all fours, and went on about his business of cleaning up the groceries I left out for him. I am setting up my bear cams tomorrow.

Bob

Always intrigued by your posts Bob, you never disappoint and looking forward to the next installment.

Edited by michiganbowbender

Brent, Adena, Buddy and I went shed hunting today and we had a good day. Adena found the club antler, and a nice set of five point whitetail sheds. Buddy and I found four elk sheds, but one of those I spotted when I stopped for a break from packing out the other three sheds, and I was too tired to go back down after it. We will go back tomorrow.

DSC001771_zpsc9ea4cf1.jpg

Another pic

DSC001751_zps79490d46.jpg

Both antlers from the club bull

DSC001741_zpsa7ab1275.jpg

Adena holding those antlers

DSC001721_zpsf1415446.jpg

Those five point sheds at the bottom of the first pic was the bull in my "Foggy Morning Bull" thread. I am happy to have those because I have plans for them. I will take one down to the bear tree next week when it quits raining. I put diluted imitation maple pancake syrup in a spray bottle, and I spray the antler until it is coated with the sticky mess. The bears love it and I will get some good pics. I hope to get pics of the cubs playing with the antler and licking it.

Bob

http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53615