dgrad

Blasts From The Past

I have been feeding the bears at this tree for 21 years, and this will be the 12th year that I have had trailcams down there. I had two P32 Camtrakkers the first year back in 2003. Since this is a slow time of the year on the forums, I thought I would go back and dig out some of my "oldies but goodies." These pics are from 2008 and the ground camera was a Sony W200, and the skycam up in the tree was a Sony W55. In this first pic, there is no way to know what is taking place, but I think mom is giving her cub instructions: "Climb up there and get those donuts, but don't eat them all, drop a few down here for me."

DSC00342-21_zpsfbeb25dd.jpg

Mom standing guard on the ground while junior climbs up after the donuts. This is a very dangerous place for cubs. Twice, I have witnessed cubs killed by boars on this set. Breeding season is late May through June, and this is the most dangerous time for the cubs

DSC003081_zps6490b6a3.jpg

Edited by dgrad

This is the same sow and cub on a rainy night. The cub is eating raspberry filled sugar-coated donuts. You can see the powdered sugar on the ground where mom is eating donuts dropped by the cub

DSC000431_zpsebb8cd80.jpg

Yummy !!! These are good!

DSC000441_zps233d0a7f.jpg

Mom does not think junior is dropping enough donuts, so here she comes !

DSC00053-21_zps1fc81a49.jpg

these pics were taken by a P32 in 2006. That was my last year to use that camera. You can see these pics just don't have the resolution. I bought my first W55 at Wal-Mart in March 2007, and I have upgraded my cameras every year since. With the new cameras I have now, this will be the best year ever the bear tree. I will have at least two cameras down there and they will be checked twice each day. The more I go down there the better because the bears are watching and listening for me. If I leave Buddy at home, the bears show up while I am still there. One day, I walked up and sat my bucket down and then I turned around and took the camera off of the tree. After changing memory and putting the camera back on the tree, when I turned around, a large boar was three feet away from me with his head in the bucket. I had to shoo him away so I could dump the bucket and leave. One day, my neighbor and his wife were in my ground blind 70 yards away watching. When Sherry saw a bear walking up behind me, she started a video with her camcorder. When the bear was five feet away, I was still not aware it was behind me, and on her video, she said, "On my god, he's dead!" When I turned around and saw the bear, I said, "Hello Teddy, how are you today?" I reached into my bucket and got a donut and held it out and he took it from my hand. Then I dumped the bucket and turned around and left. My bears all have names, and some of them know their names.

I call this sequence of pics "dancing bears" These pics won the best sequence category in Jesse's annual trailcam pics contest that year.

Dancingbear-21_zps31c5baf9.jpg

Edited by dgrad

Dancingbear-31_zps384fecc6.jpg

Dancingbear-41_zpsb4fd48a9.jpg

Dancingbear-51_zps886b0236.jpg

This is what happens when I take Buddy down there. Sometimes I give the bears a break !

DSC033061_zps76f38c34.jpg

DSC033001_zps6ae37362.jpg

Edited by dgrad

Very cool pics!!!!

Good job! I think if I turned around and a bear was three or four feet away, there would be the smell of something other than donuts in the air................