bigbassmann

Safari Anyone?

Yup, awesome stuff for us homebrewers! Thanks Ralph & Rick !

Neat design guys. Looks like you put a lot of thought into it.

Coming soon will be a new camera controller designed by Rick Gray. The new board is the Safari Camera Controller and it will be accompanied by several smaller add-on boards named Backpackers which will stack on top of the main board. In the line up of Backpackers will be an Opto Backpacker which will give the ability to operate 2 separate cameras from one control board such as TCSCOUT has done in the past when using 2 A503's in a single build having one for day color and the other for infrared night pics. The Opto Backpacker can also be used as a controller for the fast hack cameras and will have a 2 position DIP switch that can be switched ON to connect the fast hack wire and common when the main board is OFF. This will enable the user to change camera settings and not get the error message without having to use a jumper. Once your setting are complete slide the Dip switch to OFF, turn on the Safari board and it is ready to go. The Safari board is designed to operate on 4.5volts ONLY so for those of you that may want to use a higher power source there will be a Power Backpacker so you can use 6, 9 or 12 volts to power the Safari board. The Mosfet Backpacker will come in handy for things like video builds so you can run an array and mic. The Flash Backpacker, as the name implies, will be used to control a slave flash. Next is the Exchanger Backpacker. With this add-on you can operate an exchanger without the use of the driver boards that come with the exchanger. Simply connect the exchanger wires and power source to the Exchanger Backpacker and that's it. Last is the Proto Backpacker which is simply a blank proto board with a 4 pole screw terminal that you can use to design your own backpacker to meet your specific needs.

Here's a few particulars for the main Safari Camera Controller board. Overall board dimensions: 1 13/16" x 3". The Safari board itself is a Picaxe microcontroller based unit using the 18M2+ chip. Rick has done the basic programming for the Safari board so for a simple camera controller it is ready to go AS IS with a 4 position DIP switch for selecting Day Only or 24 Hour, Trail or Feeder Mode, and selecting between the different camera types. The board will have a center mounted quad element PIR so the board can be mounted horizontally or vertically. Also, the LED and CDS can come mounted directly on the board just like conventional control boards or mounted on wires and connected to screw terminals if you wish so you can place those parts inside your build where you want them. Without the use of an onboard battery bay you can use any 3 bay battery holder for AAA's, AA's, C's or D's or add the Power Backpacker if you want more than 4.5 volts to power the board. On the bottom side of the board will be jumpers JP1 & JP2 for adding solder bridge to connect commons depending on the camera used. For use with the Backpacker boards, we are hoping that you guys will be helpful when it comes to developing code and sharing that with the community so everyone can benefit from it since there is no way that Rick nor myself can possibly provide all the coding that can be needed for specific applications and all of the great ideas for builds that you guys will come up with. What we are attempting to provide is a base product that can be expanded on by the end user and hopefully it will grow from there.

Here's a couple of pics showing what will be available. In the first pic is the main Safari board, the first version Opto Backpacker without the Dip Switch but the new version will have that and also jumpers JP1 & JP2, the Mosfet Backpacker, the Power Backpacker, the Flash Backpacker and the Proto Backpacker. The second pic is the Exchanger Backpacker with an exchanger connected along with a 9 volt battery to power the exchanger.

DSC00742_zps263dcb13.jpg

DSC007522_zpsc2f89ea7.jpg

This pics shows the Safari board with the Opto, Power, and Mosfet Backpackers stacked on top with total height of just at 2" without standoffs.

DSC00746_zps5141fb6d.jpg

I have a few of the Safari boards and Backpackers on hand so if anyone is interested in trying one out before they go to market send me a PM. Supply is limited so first come, first serve. I have an order for more boards on the way and will let you know when the are available for sale.

Looks nice!!

Neat design guys. Looks like you put a lot of thought into it.

Rick did an awesome job as usual designing the new boards. All the credit goes to him, I'm just the delivery man. :D

Nice can't wait to try one out.

bvhunter

Nice to see folks give rick the credit he deserves rather than act like they done it all. Good work

I would buy one if I knew how to utilize it!! I'm still in the Homebrew 101, and I may not make pass.

Super nice though. Very innovative!

That's going to be fun to use! I'll be glad when work slows down and I can put a couple into a build! Thank to R & R for making this available!