HunterTom

Gun Range Camera

A few months back “axe3761” had a post questioning the use of WiFi to transmit pictures from a target to a shooting bench. The thought was that his eyes were not what they use to be and the old spotting scope was hard to see through. I know the feeling.

http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53931

I had mentioned he should look into the setups that the RC airplane people use. They transmit video from their planes back to the ‘pilot’. The pilots actually fly the plane as if they were inside the cockpit.

I had an interest in this also so I put my money where my mouth was and built a gun range camera setup. I have seen units for sale that cost $550 and up…way up. Mine was under $100.

Gun Range Camera

DSC02989_zps098ae834.jpg

Receiver. Connects to laptop.

DSC02992_zps2ef35392.jpg

Camera and Transmitter (Behind fan)

DSC02990_zps8f8feae3.jpg

I used a 700 TVL CMOS camera with a 5.8 GHz transmitter and receiver. I set the camera and transmitter by the target and have the receiver back with me at the shooting bench. The receiver is connected to a laptop which displays the video image. Now when I shoot my 17 HMR and 223, I can see exactly and very clearly where the bullets hit.

I can also record the video or take single snapshot pictures. The single pictures are useful for comparing a ‘before’ and ‘after’ shot. Take a snapshot, shoot, take another snapshot, then compare the two. Makes locating a bullet hole even easier when the target is getting full.

I have not set it up at the gun range yet, but here are a few pictures from a set up near my house. At the bottom of the red line is a NO EXIT sign. It is 267 yard away from the receiver and laptop.

DSC02968mod_zpsc4bf6e9c.jpg

I walked to the sign with my video unit and transmitter. This is a snapshot of the video display from laptop that was back at the house. I was about 3 feet from the sign and the letters are 5 inch tall. There is a slight blur because I was holding the video unit and did not have it stable.

VLC pic

vlcsnap-2014-05-15-15h41m29s59_zpsdcd009d7.png

I also have the ability to connect the transmitter to my Sony SR45, and the receiver to a monitor. The SR45 outputs a better video and has zoom, but since the transmitter/receiver only transmit at 600 TVL, I do not gain much. And I like the laptop so I can record or take single frame pictures. I think this is going to work great, especially on those days when the "heat haze" makes it hard to see with the spotting scope..

That is a cool idea. Nice project and makes shooting even more fun.

Very nice. I also think I possess the unique and innate skills to eventually shoot the camera.

Very nice. I also think I possess the unique and innate skills to eventually shoot the camera.

HAHAHA!!! Yea I would bet I would also!!

Wish I knew how all that worked that would be fun to use.