The glare before sunset messed up some pics, but I got about 60 pics of the sunset. I decided to leave the camera facing west after seeing these pics. But I am moving the camera over away from the field about four feet. I am also switching to my best camera, the Sony Hx20v. He was there around the camera until 2:00 AM. He was pigging out on bread and apples. A large bear was in our front yard this morning messing around with the buckets that I used to carry the bread and apples to this set yesterday. This set is only 175 yards from the bear tree where I have fed the bears for 21 years. I have posted thousands of bear pictures from that tree over the years. I chickened out today and did not take apples or bread to the field for DT. But after seeing how much he likes the apples and bread, I am taking them back tomorrow. I am willing to risk my expensive cameras for these pictures. I will spray it with ammonia every day, and if it gets damaged, I know a guy that fix it B)

I am saving the best sunset pic for this years contest.

Bob

post-5081-1406943529_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had more than 600 pics of DT last night, and I have not even looked at all of them yet

post-5081-1406943644_thumb.jpg

another

post-5081-1406943708_thumb.jpg

The background matches the beautiful buck!!

Nice pics Bob. In post #3 there looks to be some sort of weird shadow effect from his antlers going on. Not sure what caused it but it is pretty neat I think.

Ralph, I think it is a problem with the CCD. It the previous pic the antler was up there where that shadow is in this pic. It does not do it all the time, but it is like a double exposure. This the only w230 I have that does this. I am switching to a better camera tomorrow. I watched this buck tonight for more than an hour through my spotting scope. He was in the same spot in front of my camera, and there was another sunset. He did not stay as long tonight because there was no bread or apples.When he first arrived, he just stood there looking around. I am sure he was thinking where is my bread and apples. He will get bread and apples tomorrow. Apples are free, and the bread store fills up my truck with bread for ten dollars. i will post some double exposure pics from tonight later. I am still working through last night's pics editing and deleting. I have a bunch of nice pics from the sunset, and I will post more later. I am not sure the pics I have already posted are the best ones. I have some dandies. Tonight's sunset was different. It was overcast, and the sun appeared like a big red ball that you could look at. There was twelve other deer there tonight watching and waiting for him to leave

I really don't need any more pictures of this buck while he is in velvet. But there are several reasons why I want to keep this going if that is possible. I would like to get pics of him losing his velvet and his antlers after that. Come October, I know where he will be. Every year, I hear about sightings from others, and they saw him out in these fields around here The deer like the bean and pea fields. The field that borders our property has been wheat in the past. The deer prefer the beans and peas. Usually he is not this close to the house this time of the year. After the crops are harvested, I know where he hangs out. My deer feeder is in one of his favorite areas. But he always comes down here around our house when he starts rubbing trees. I am hoping to watch him lose that velvet, and most of it will be gone by the end of this month. I am also curious if he has any more antler growth. I have already noticed three of his sticker points have grown since my first pic last week. I also hope to watch the condition of his velvet. I had a plan to watch his antler growth at the feeder back in April, but the bears screwed that up. and the bears can screw up this plan very easily also. if you look at the pic below, there is a deer trail along the edge of the field. The camera is looking right down that trail, and 110 yards down that trail is the corner of this field. If you walked straight down from the corner of the field, you would be at the bear tree where I feed the bears. I told Brent this evening that I was going to resume taking bread and apples to this set tomorrow. He thinks that will be a mistake, but we will see.

post-5081-1406961411_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

Tomorrow, I am setting a taller heavy post in the tall grass just off of the field. I will have to add braces to make it sturdy. That is the same way my post is at the elk wallow, and that post has been there ten years. The camera aim will be similar, and probably even better. I will not have those bean plans in my pics then, and I won't have to worry about the farmer's combine destroying my camera. I am actually more worried about my camera messing up the combine and getting me in trouble. I will get pics of a gray combine harvesting those beans in a week or so. I am also going to bait the location that is 100 yards down off of the field tomorrow. That camera will be much closer to the bears, but the camera will be on a tree and I can protect it better there..I will only post more pics if they are exceptional or if there are changes to his rack. I might have some nice sunset pics tomorrow.

post-5081-1406962751_thumb.jpg

Ralph, I have used this camera since it was new back in 2009, and I have never had this double exposure problem (if that's What it is) until now. I has about 20 of these pics out of almost 1200 yesterday. It only does this when the bright glare from sky affects the pics. I posted one pic of a see-though last November here that this same camera took camera. I will find that post and add a link to it. In this pic, everything is fine except the small bucks antlers.

This is the link to my post back in November. The same camera is now taking these pictures

http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53465

post-5081-1406963405_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

I am replacing this camera tomorrow with one of my best cameras. This picture is fine except for the transparent antlers

post-5081-1406964100_thumb.jpg

another

post-5081-1406964273_thumb.jpg

and another

post-5081-1406964349_thumb.jpg

It has been fun to be able to watch my camera and know what pictures I can expect. I had more sunset pics of this buck tonight. if any of them are good, I will add them on this thread

post-5081-1406964655_thumb.jpg

Bob, great color in those pics. And I imagine at best camera quality they will continue to be top-notch. When DT was standing around looking at the ground, he probably was wondering if he forgot to put his order in for his favorite bagels... :)