MrPike

Can Ssii Be Programmed For Day/night As Bought?

Hi Guys,

I recently bought my starter kit to begin playing with picaxe programming in the SSII. I read some prior posts about using the LED on the SSII for day/night detection for video, etc. My interest would be to use the day/night detection, if it exists on the board as Gary sells it, to save a little battery power by not topping off the flash during daylight. I travel a long way to get to my cams so every little bit of life helps. I would continue to take pics 24 hours a day, I only want to minimize the battery usage.

My question is, can this programming be accomplished without having to change out any components (adding day/night sensor, different LED, etc)? I saw some posts from late last year that seemed like it might be able to be done through code changes only, but I'm not sure if any board mods are required to go along with the program changes.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

No component changes I am aware of, it is done through the coding. Look further down the list of topics on this forum for the thread titled "Ssii Day/night Detection With Led" posted by ghoot.

The only thing to be aware of is if you get an overcast day or brief cloud cover the board may not be topping off the cap but the camera may require it for the picture. you may end up missing a pic or two. Other then that BBM is correct, nothing needs to be changed on the board other than programming. make sure you use a white fresnel lens too.

Another thing that can cause issues is where you have the build set. Heavy forest canopy will yield different results as compared to on a field edge or some other spot that gets more sunlight. Figured I would just throw in something else to think about along with what John said. Not every situation will be the same and may require a little experimentation to get it just how you want it.

Good advice guys, thanks, and thanks also for the quick reply. I'll look up the post you mentioned bigbassman, and I'll mess with the settings if I can get the code right to see if I can find a setting that saves me some battery in bright sun but still gets me the pics during clouds and leaf cover.

Something to consider when you are doing this is that if you are not topping off the flash then that is going to affect the timing of the camera. Once the cameras flash gets depleted it can take 10 seconds or more for the camera to be ready (if you keep the flash on). So you are going to have a second camera on time for the times when you are topping of the camera flash. If you do not adjust for this, then the camera will likely miss a lot of the first pictures as it is charging the flash instead of being ready.

I too walk in a lot of the time for miles before placing a camera and can understand the want to keep the camera going as long as possible in between checks (also weight). One option that I have found useful is not taking pictures 24hrs a day. Just do daytime only and turn off the flash with no camera refresh. The side effect of turning off the flash is that the camera can sometimes have a very slow shutter speed and the pictures can be blurred.

Once you get into the programming side of the things almost anything is doable.

Good point, never thought of the cam delay starting up if I don't top the flash off except for at night. I was thinking that if the flash wasn't needed it wouldn't top it off, but clearly that is not right and I should have known better from my own experience. I think I'll try to find something creative to help me develop some programming skills as a personal challenge, but it might not be the day/night.

Thanks for saving me some aggravation figuring it out the hard way!