Saturday, I baited two mineral licks here in the creek bottom close to the house. Then Sunday, I put two of my W230 pocket cams at these licks. Droptines is still going to my set up of the hillside every night, but early Monday morning he found my bait at one of the licks. Sunday night after the Sunday Night Football game, I walked over to the licks to see what pics they had taken that night. I had just taken the cameras to these licks just before dark that night. I had several hundred pics on each camera, mostly does, but the buck that has been running with droptines all summer had been at one of the licks. Then early Monday morning just before daylight, droptines found my bait at one of the licks. I have been feeding him at this lick for five years. The time is off one hour on these pics because of the daylight savings time change. The LCD is disconnected on these cameras, so I brought them home to make corrections for that. The w230 is still there tonight, but I will replace them with Hx20v's. These cams use 6 D cell batteries for externals, and I have been charging batteries for them all day. The pics on these sets will be awesome

post-5081-1415084450_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the trees in the area around this lick have been damaged by this buck during the rut over the years past. This lick is like "Grand Central Station" during the rut for him. I have hiked all over the country around here looking for sheds, and I have never found another area that has such a high concentration of rubs. Last year, I counted at least 75 fresh rubs right here in this area close to this lick. He has been doing this for five years now, and I created these licks because I wanted to see who in the heck was tearing up all of my trees.

post-5081-1415085262_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

You can see damage he has done to every tree in the background in these pics. He has just started rubbing and I have only found about ten fresh rubs so far this year

post-5081-1415085595_thumb.jpg

I can tell he is ready for the rut to start. notice the two smaller trees in the background between the two does. I have a story to tell about those trees in my next post

post-5081-1415085966_thumb.jpg

I have never been able to get a pic of him making one of these rubs. A couple of months back, I asked for advice on how to get these pics. Somewhere I read about using "meepee". Last night after the football game when I walked over to check my pics, I had to take a leak when I got to the camera. So I walked over to the two small trees that I pointed out in the pic above. My dog was in front of the camera, and the camera took a pic of me doing this. Then when I walked on over to check my pics, I saw that he had not been there yet. But when I walked up on the set this morning, I saw a BIG fresh rub on one of the trees that I urinated on the night before. Maybe this was just a coincidence, but I plan to find out. I didn't get a pic of him making this rub because my pocket cams do not have the HPWA. But tomorrow, I will have a camera there that does have the HPWA. Plus that camera has at least twice the flash range. It also has a wide angle lens, and 18.2 megapixels. The buck is about 12 feet from the W230 in these pics. I have an Hx20v on the set up on the hillside, and the buck is 22 feet from the camera up there. he always looks closer because I crop the pics. These W230 pics are cropped also. In these pics, the w230 was on auto and it used ISO 800 for these pics. The yellow arrow in this pic points at the new rub

post-5081-1415087712_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

Same pic cropped so you can see the fresh rub better

post-5081-1415088332_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the Update this is exciting to follow........ :coolsmiley:

Yesterday, I switched the W230 to ISO 200 and that improved the pics. This buck just continues to amaze me. Look at the size of his neck now. A local artist wants to use my pics as a guide to paint this buck, but I asked her to wait a few weeks because I will have better pics of him soon. I am taking my best camera over there today. This may be the best pic I have of him so far this year.

post-5081-1415133668_thumb.jpg

very nice pics ...I read a story in the late 90's about peeing in scrapes . so I tried it and have been since... Seen lots of proof that it does not matter. Me pee or deer pee. Pee out of my stand too which has not hurt either

This is my favorite set for this buck. The pics here in the creek bottom are very nice, and now I have my best cameras here. Our second deer season opens tomorrow morning, and it runs until November 19. This season is for whitetail bucks only, and it is by special permit. We don't have a late season for mule deer bucks during the the rut. This buck tends to move around and roam during the rut, so he could be at risk.

post-5081-1415347087_thumb.jpg

another

post-5081-1415347227_thumb.jpg

one more

post-5081-1415347310_thumb.jpg

Bob, mepee works every time. I use it to freshen up my mock scrapes religiously.

Just got back from checking this camera. With the bright moon tonight, I never turned on my headlamp. When we were half way to my set, Buddy was running all around sniffing the ground. I knew that something had been here recently, but it could have been a possum, a coon or who knows what. When we were about 40 yards from the set, my camera flash fired, and Buddy started growling and took off toward the camera. Then I heard the bear growling. When Buddy started barking, I also heard the bear's claws crunching the tree bark as it went up a tree. In my trailcam pics on this set, the camera is aimed at three trees that are 15 feet from the camera. When I arrived, the bear's head was about 10 feet off of the ground on the center tree. It was just hanging onto the tree, looking down at Buddy. Buddy was barking and jumping up toward the bear. The bear was growling and huffing and puffing back at Buddy. When I arrived, the bear never looked at me, he was focused on Buddy. I could have jumped up and slapped the bear on the butt, but I picked up a large rock and threw it as hard as I could and it hit the bear in the back of the head. Then the bear shot up very high in the tree. He was at least 40 feet off of the ground. If I had my chainsaw with me, I would have cut down that tree and let that darn bear crash and burn. I am sick of these darn bears around here. My camera took some pics while this was going on. I opened the camera and saw that there had been no deer there all night, and with all the commotion that went on there, I doubt any deer will show later tonight. I had to yell at Buddy and scold him to get him to follow me back home. This bear has been causing me problems for a couple of months. if I knew where his den was, this winter I would go and toss a grenade in it. I didn't bother changing the memory tonight, and if there are any good pics of this, I will post them tomorrow. I am curious to see what the bear did when he came down out of the tree after we left. Hopefully, he did not go after my camera to get back at me. I hope he took off when he came down.

Bob

Edited by dgrad