dgrad

Mineral Lick

:o Sad day for sure Bob. I have deer in my back yard I call pets and not as grand as your drop tines by any means. I have a 8 and 10pt that always come to eat along with the rest of the family. I haven't seen either buck in a couple weeks but, might be off rambling after the gals. I would be upset if I found out someone shot these 2 bucks. It saddens me that your awesome storyline pet has been taken the wrong way.

The story ends just like the deployment back in the 60's did. I did my tour of duty and my back paid the piper for it 2 years ago from all the heavy rucksack patrols and scout missions. Thank you so much for your service Bob. Us vets really take that to heart.

Hopefully there will be some drop tines in the future as he's been having fun each fall / winter for several years. Thanks for all the years doing this hobby and it will be hard for you to stop this addiction I'm sure. Keep praying and take care of yourself, brother as your health can't be bought anywhere in a store.

Thank you for the story about drop tines it was eventful and fun.

Take care, WC

This is a sad, as terrible as it is that such a wonderful buck was taken unethically it is even a sadder day that we will not be following dgrad great post with pictures that told a story, I read all these post wondering what would come next, your time a effort you put into this hobby hasn't gone unnoticed and I will miss the journey I have taken with you as I read your post.............I hope to log on someday and see another thread from you with a new story of another great buck.................

On November 11 I started bringing my cameras in because I intended to take a break for awhile, and maybe forever. But my break did not last long because my neighbors have been calling and reporting things they have been seeing, and they want pictures. These same neighbors have homebrew cameras that I built for them, but they think I am better at getting the pics than they are. The truth is that this is lots of work, and they are not willing to put in that work. Last year, I posted trailcam pics on here of a large bull elk that we call the club bull. This bull has some really funky antlers,and last March, I posted pics of this bulls sheds and told the story behind us finding those sheds. Well ten days back they told me they have been seeing this bull at the same spot where I got pics of him last year. So last weekend we took my deer feeder and set it up at that mineral lick. Then Tuesday Buddy and I took a camera there and set it up at the feeder. The feeder had been there for two days, and there were tracks in the mud from at least three different bulls already. And one set of tracks were huge, so I think our target bull has found the set. I have also had reports of bobcat and cougar sightings in the area, so I will make more sets soon for those. I will post pics of the bull hen I get them. Last year we sold his sheds to a local antler collector for $1,000.00. This is a link to pics of this bull from last year.

Bob

http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53411

Edited by dgrad

X2 on the trail camming. And they call "Mossy Oak" an addiction? Not hardly compared to this.

Go get'm Bob.

:)

If you weren't out there posting these pics I would be missing some great conversation topics when I visit my old work place. Those guys eat up this stuff.

Think of all the good exercise you and Buddy are getting!! :D

Bill

Wow, I missed this whole story going bad. Bob, like the rest I very much enjoyed your pictures and sets. And all the help you gave anyone who asked. Glad you found a reason to keep doing at least a little camming.

John

I appreciate all of the comments guys. It will be a few days before I have any pictures to post. We have had some very severe winter weather here lately. Ice, snow and single digit temps here lately.

I am not willing to drive up on the mountain to check my cameras because I don't want to put chains on my tires. Monday, I decided to hike up to my camera at my feeder. That camera is about a mile from the house. When I got to the camera, I found all batteries dead, and I had more than 2,000 pictures. The hike back home was much easier because it's downhill all the way. I put the memory in a spare camera that I carry in my pocket. I had some awesome pics of large bull elk, but somehow, I lost the camera out of my pocket on the hike back down to the house. So I don't have those pictures. But the camera is in a zip-lock bag, so it should be okay. Saturday, Buddy and I will make the hike again to check the camera at the feeder, and hopefully we find the camera that I dropped in the snow last Monday. Monday we saw lots of cougar and bobcat tracks in the snow, and I will be making sets for these cats as soon as the weather breaks.

This is great news welcome back..........looking forward to your pictures

Edited by novascotiahunter