TCSCOUT

Safari Board Running A Lcd Display

Added this to my Duel SJ1000 Safari Build. Have not had time to get it all working yet but thought it was pretty cool and would share what I got so far. Will probably be a while getting it finished.

Right now I'm using the ports on the Opto's on the main board because I'm using the backpacker mosfet to run the cams.

When I power it up before it goes into the program to test the cameras I have it check the voltage on the picaxe then the voltage on the 18650 batteries. My plan later on is to have it tell me how many videos the day camera has taken and how many the night camera has taken. Then maybe figure out how many would fit on a 32 GB Card and have it calculate and read out the % Full of each camera card.

So instead of taking out each camera and checking them I can look at the display and decide what I want to do.

Maybe hit a button and get the battery voltage, number of pictures taken on each camera, percent full on the cards and if it's all good let it go longer?

Another thought is I added a solar charger on this build. I have not tested it much yet but I had it outside for a week and the batteries were still full. Thinking I could use a small latching relay, pulse the relay close for the solar charger on when the batteries are low and then pulse it back open when they are charged. Just thinking out load right now, not really sure what I'll do and don't really have time to do it now. It's hunting season and the Holidays are coming up so.......

Here is what it looks like so far

Cool!!!! Looking good. :coolsmiley: :hags house:

Very nice Roger. It will be interesting to see everything when you get it all working. I haven't done anything with the LCDs since right after I bought some a couple of years ago. Still have the first one all wired up on the breadboard and never did anything with it after the initial experimenting.

I had a little time to play with this some more. I decided to put the Picaxe and Battery Voltage Readings on the same screen together, then put Day Vids Taken & Day Vids Left together and Night Vids Taken & Night Vids Left on another. Right now I just calculated how many 90 second videos I would get on a 32GB card. Then I can go back later and add some programming so it will adjust for the settings I have the dip switches on. So if it's set to 30s, 90s, 120s or 180s it will calculate the space accordingly.

I don't know all I should about this stuff to make it easy. I had a hard time getting it to keep the readings in eeprom memory so when the power was turned off and back on the picture counts would still be there. Got it working now so the count will stay in eeprom memory and reload on power up, unless I choose to reset it to 0. Been about the hardest thing I have tried to do with the picaxe so far. But after a lot of trial and error I finally got it to work.

I still have some things to do yet, put making progress.

Ralph & Rick, fun board to play with, nice work! :coolsmiley:

I can see it now... A LCD Backpacker to read actual camera & slave power voltage during card swaps.

Did a little more programming on this. It's working well. I have it so it keeps the video count on the day and night camera after power off. Now I have the menu as if you want to reset the video count, if so press the little tack switch push button and it resets the count and give you verification that it's reset. It's not going to make the videos look any better but it's fun to get it to work :) .

I'm going to take this a step further. I got these 2 RF Transceivers. Basically a RF transmitter that can send and receive serial data. When in sleep it only draws 5ua's or .005ma's. It's rated for 1000 meters (1093.61 yards or .62 miles). I only tested it around the house so far. With it inside the house I walked out to the mail box and down the road some, maybe 100 yards and it worked fine.

I soldered a header to the Safari board proto board and can just unplug it if I want to use it in another build or something else. What I plan to do is put a transceiver and LCD in a 1010, project box or something small and use it to check on a couple of my cams that I'm going to put up high in a tree with a solar charger. This way I can tell if the cam is still getting pics, has room on the SD Card and if the battery is still good. Hoping I can put it all the way at the other end of the field and check it from the other end without having to go over there.

So far the testing is pretty good. Thought I would need to use a picaxe in the remote handheld LCD, but I tried it with just the Transceiver and it works like that. So I'm going to start with a pretty basic setup and if I can learn more maybe improve it later so that I can also send command to the Trail Cam from the remote. Right now I'm just going to send a signal to the Trail Cam and have it send data to the remote LCD.

Here is a information sheet on the one I have: http://www.dfrobot.com/image/data/TEL0005/...0_Datasheet.pdf

eBay link where I purchased mine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/311089869887?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Couple of pics of how I mounted it in the build:

post-5460-1421707385_thumb.jpg

post-5460-1421707392_thumb.jpg

This is a you tube video of a test run. It works with the LCD that I have in the build or without. So I can just use the one in the case or the remote LCD. Or unplug and Transceiver in the build and still use the Trail Cam same as before and put the Transceiver into another. You can change the channels and frequency by plugging in an adapter that comes with the transceivers in the USB on the computer and reprogramming them. Don't ask me any technical questions because I know just enough to get it to work as a transmitter & receiver, hopefully later I will be able to send and receive both ways and do some more useful stuff.

Here is the YouTube link, not a great video but it demonstrates where I'm headed with the project.

Roger I think your gonna need a bigger case?? Perhaps a suitcase for all your future gadgets. LOL!

Looks great!

I'm like Brian, you keep adding things to that build and you will need a larger case. Great work and I am totally lost now. :o