Sign in to follow this  
bigbassmann

Traffic Light Gun Safe

This is a project I did for a customer. She wanted a gun cabinet/safe for her husband's birthday and she wanted it to look like a large traffic light because he collects them. I decided it would be nice if the signal lights on the front of the case would light up just like a real traffic light. With a lot of help from Rick Gray with the circuit design, I was able to get that done. I used household night light holders for the lights in the doors and have 7 watt 120v bulbs in them. I wired the lights to a standard switch/outlet and mounted that inside the cabinet. I then used a Kodak camera charger that is plugged into the 120v outlet and outputs 5v DC. The camera charger output provides power for a Picaxe 08M proto board housed in a project box that is mounted below the switch/outlet box. The proto board has 3 solid state relays that switch on the 120v AC power to each light when triggered by the simple Picaxe programming. The power to the lights and the Picaxe board can be turned ON or OFF using the light switch inside the cabinet. I covered the interior of the cabinet with black felt, including the small slide out drawer below where the guns sit. The gun safe stands 5 feet tall, is 2 feet wide (4 feet including the light visors) and is 1 foot deep. The customer said she would let her husband paint the case himself either yellow or green since he has traffic lights in his collection that are both colors.

This is the Picaxe board that runs the lights.

DSC00151_zps2848adb3.jpg

Pics of the cabinet

DSC00156_zpsbfaa7017.jpg

DSC00157_zpsc6385b12.jpg

DSC00158_zps5348d902.jpg

DSC00155_zps474d2eae.jpg

DSC00154_zps2d63ef92.jpg

DSC00153_zps210a7bfd.jpg

Video of the lights operating.

Edited by bigbassmann

That's pretty flippen cool Ralph ! Awesome work and craftsmanship

Thanks for sharing, very creative BBM.