pdskal

WI Bear Harvest Permit Awarded!

I just checked the WI DNR website and draw results have been posted for the 2015 Bear hunting season! I've been saving my preference points for six years and this year decided to 'put-in' for consideration for a harvest permit. Well..... I got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait until September................ I'll be headed to the Northwoods to try and harvest a big 'ol Wisconsin bear with stick & string!!!!!!!! Wish me luck!!!!!!

I'll update this thread with more details throughout Spring/Summer/Fall as we get closer to the hunt! For now, I'll be sitting back and daydreaming for months! :lol:

Congrats Paul

Do you have a place picked out to hunt already?

Congrats Paul

Ken,

I have a spot picked out up in zone A in Price County. Details are not confirmed yet, but that is my intention. Do you have bears up at your camp? I can't remember. I think you may be in zone C?

Congrats Paul

Ken,

I have a spot picked out up in zone A in Price County. Details are not confirmed yet, but that is my intention. Do you have bears up at your camp? I can't remember. I think you may be in zone C?

yea theres quite a few bear up by us. The land is in Armstrong Creek area

Is baiting allowed?

Stick a bear through the lungs and they go down faster then same hit on a whitetail. Make sure you have toilet paper too cause when you get one and it gives off its death moan... :eekout:

Baiting is allowed, but you can only hunt over bait during certain times during the season. This will be my first bear hunt, so it will be quite a memorable experience.

Baiting is allowed, but you can only hunt over bait during certain times during the season. This will be my first bear hunt, so it will be quite a memorable experience.

Like said, a bear is easier to kill I think then a whitetail. Have got 2 with a bow in the fall (Ontario and Maine) and first one went 19 yards (string tracker so knew exactly) and circled and died right next to the bait bucket, arrow had gone through and was buried in the barrel. That one gave its death moan and totally made the hairs on the back of my next stand up. Maine one the bear just started turning as I shot and went about 40 yards before dieing in mid stride. Never gave a death moan. Broadside shot right behind the sholder is best. If over bait lay a 5' long log in front of the bait and if a bear comes in and the head (okay, entire bear with head sticking past the log) is longer then the log it is a good bear.

Good luck.

I should be getting pics from the bait sights any day now in July. Super excited for September! I've got my bow dialed in, can't wait!

I'm at bear camp this week! Wish me luck!

Internet is hit-and-miss here so I may not check back here for several days....

Good luck Paul there are lots of bear around this year

My hunt is going well. Nice small group in camp this week. Had a 200ish pounder come through yesterday around 5:45 pm but the bear was a little nervous around the setup. Within 10 yards past my tree but couldn't get a shot off. The bear then melted back into the trees and never did present itself.

Here is a pic of one of my stand setups. Have my custom Hoyt alphamax 35 ready to strike.

post-8074-1443013847_thumb.jpg