Sign in to follow this  
dgrad

My First Trailcams

On Paul's thread, we got to talking about bears and bear damage to our cameras. I thought you guys might get a kick out of how I tried to protect my cameras from bears. What I did was work, and in the long run, it didn't save my cameras. The camera in these units was the P32. These cameras cost $750.00 plus $25.00 shipping. I bought extra SLA batteries for both units, and that made the total cost about $800.00 per unit. Camtrakker used acrylic plastic lenses, and I had to replace those within weeks. In this first pic, you can see that I Gooped a glass lens to the case for the camera lens.

post-5081-1427570705_thumb.jpg

I built a fence in front of the camera using metal fence posts that I drove into the ground. Then I used heavy gauge concrete reinforcement wire for the fence. The Camtrakker until had a metal plate attached to the back of the camera by pop-rivets. In this pic, the two red cargo straps secure the camera to the tree. The wood box with nails in it was held in place by a yellow bungee. The white cord holds the wire back so you could not see it in the pics. You can see how much fun it was to check this camera.

post-5081-1427571519_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

The camera was 200 yards from our house, and we had a very large blond boar here back then. I called him Blondie, and he was hell on my cameras. I had two cameras, and I had already lost one to Blondie. The mess you see in the pic above was my attempt to save the other camera, but that did not work out. Blondie reached through the wire fence and he managed to remove the wooden box. Then he grabbed the camera and pulled it right off of the tree. He pulled until the pop-rivets went right through the ABS case. The camera fell to the ground between the fence and the tree. Then he went around the fence and grabbed the camera and destroyed it. When I went to check the camera, the metal plate was still cinched down on the tree by the cargo straps. Pieces of the camera were scattered everywhere. All I was able to salvage from these two expensive cameras was one hacked P32. At the time, I posted on Jesse's, and guys there told me what to order to get that P32 back in service. I put it in a 1060 case with a Pixcontroller universal board. I also added external power. I was very upset when I lost my Camtrakkers, but it ended up being a blessing in disguise because it got me into the Homebrews.

Bob

Edited by dgrad

Neat stuff Bob. I just took one of those old CamTracker units a guy sent me from Arkansas and installed a CritterGetter Micro in it with a Fast Hacked S600. Turned out to be a pretty neat unit. There are a lot of those Cam Tracker cases around still they all just have newer "GUTS" in them. I have done quite a few with SSII boards as well.

Jim, I like Pelican cases better than the Camtrakker case, especially in bear country. But Camtrakker did one thing that I wish I could. They soldered the hack wires to tiny traces on small ribbon cables. I wish I could solder like that.

Bob