Looks Like In Safe Mode But Isn't

This is an oldie so see if anyone knows. This is a Windows 98 computer, first one had. I hardly use it anymore but keep it hooked in another room as it can only run some of the programs I use (PrintMaster Gold, etc.) plus has a ton of scanned photos on it. I know can always copy and transfer the pics. but is just easy to keep them there.

Anyway was doing a cleaning of it and have no idea what I hit but the computer then went into what it looked like if it was in safe mode only it isn't. Trying to change the display properties it only lists 16 colors for an option and 640X480 pixels for screen area. Tried redoing the Windows 98 disk with no luck. Tried system restore with no luck.

Any ideas...besides getting a new computer? :D

Don't reload the 98 windows or you will loose all pictures. Does the status light remain on constant? Do you here the hard drive running? Did you hit "ctrl/alt/delete" at the same time? Did you shut the power off/restart?

Don't reload the 98 windows or you will loose all pictures. Does the status light remain on constant? Do you here the hard drive running? Did you hit "ctrl/alt/delete" at the same time? Did you shut the power off/restart?

To show how much I use that computer this happened probrably late last summer and I just quit trying anything on it but have a serial picaxe download cable and the communication posts on computer using right now won't recognize it. Didn't think picaxe went further back then XP but saw something that said it did 98 so tried to download to it. Only problem again is it looking like safe mode so can't get windows positioned right to scroll in them nor get onto the picaxe sight right now. Don't really want to take it to a computer store and put $70.00 or so into a 17 year old computer.

Have some codes to download to the Safari board flash backer so also checking with a local guy to see if he kept his usb picaxe cable when he got rid of his stuff.

Try a different monitor and see if that makes a difference. Or even a different monitor setting, maybe someone accidentally bumped a setting on the screen.

Had tried 2 monitors already but they both show only 16 color as an option so something I did got rid of the other color/size choices in the computer itself.

Thanks though.

Don't know how well these will come thru. Tried it on 3 different monitors and same on all 3. As can see the settings are unmovable (is set to those settings, none other come up nor can the pixels slide be moved).

post-2003-1429831111_thumb.jpg

post-2003-1429831140_thumb.jpg

Is that background in the first pic normally that blurry?

If the settings were right, no (some of it did come from resizing plus some from using a camera to take a pic. off a monitor screen). That is the problem, the settings can't be changed, they are no longer there. That's why it looks like it would in safe mode (size wise) but it does have some color, very little though.

Edited by IroquoisArcher

You could try a different monitor cable, it could be the computer or it could be the graphics card. If it's the cable that's easy enough, if it's the card you could go and get another and pop it in and see. Just get it from somewhere that has a good return policy, that way you can return it if it doesn't work. Do you know if the computer is using the stock graphics card from the computer or if its an aftermarket?

Edited by johnnydeerhunter

Did you try reloading the driver for the video adapter?

No to the cable, tried different ones with each monitor. Yes to the original graphics card, never been changed. To the graphics card haven't tried that. Will give it a shot. Maybe that is it. It was okay till tried a program my brother gave me, Easy Cleaner??, so will also check with him. Have tried downloading the 2D/3D/Video Graphics Board disk that came with it but it is more of a game (Real 3D Starfighter AGP) and didn't give any option other then downloading a game but it had worked back in 98 (256 color or whatever it was, 32 color??) when got it without downloading this.

Agreed. It looks like you need to reload the driver.

The driver is probrably already loaded, is the weekend! :lol:

I know...BOOOO. Just a bit of humor.

Well then you better download the designated driver! :lol:

Do you know what graphics card it has in it?

Edited by ghoot