speed2spare

Carolina Reapers

Anyone on here grow and or eat insanely hot peppers? For the last few years I have grown Bhut Jolokia (ghost peppers) and eat a couple just for the burn of doing it. This year I ordered some Carolina Reapers. They are suppose to be just wicked hot. Gonna grow some here in WI and some in LA. The Reapers should have some insane burn to them.

Hope your shorts don't burn when you backfire LOL

I always grow some jalapenos. I know they aren't as hot as other varieties but they are way hotter than most jalapenos I have had before. Must be the soil where I plant them because they are about as hot as I can handle.

John, The hottest pepper that I know of is the chile pequin. They are ten times hotter than a jalapeno, and I can't eat them. I am originally from south Texas, and they grow wild in south Texas and Mexico. Down there they call them turkey peppers because the wild turkeys eat them, and they claim this makes the turkey meat "HOT", but I don't know if that is true or not. We grew them for ornamental decoration because the plant is beautiful when it's covered with those tiny red peppers. Put one of them in a pot of stew, and you can't eat it, at least I can't eat it. But I did know Mexicans that ate them. Each pepper is about the size of a green pea, but don't let the size fool you, they are deadly "HOT".

Bob

http://pequin.us/

I like hot but that may be pushing it. Habanero's are around 100,000 - 150,000 scoville units, those Mexican pequins are about the same. I just looked and those reapers are over 1 million on the scoville scale and can be up to 3 million. That's hot!!!!!! More importantly how's the flavor?

No idea on the flavor of the Reapers. Yes the reapers are suppose to range from 1.5 -2.2 million on the scoville scale. The Ghost Peppers are suppose to be around 1 million on the scale. Can't say as I really noticed much of a flavor on them. But a couple minutes after you start chewing on them it feels like your tongue is peeling off in layers. The Ghost peppers give a burn that last roughly 30 minutes. I have found yogurt as being the best thing to sooth the burn. I suggest getting the 32oz size. From watching people eat the Reapers on YouTube some of them talk about the burn in the throat and no good way to sooth it.

Habaneros make for some good "pepper sauce" as my Grandpa would call it. Basically cut the peppers in half and pack in a mason jar. Pour warm vinegar over it and seal with a lid. Let it set for at least 6 months before trying it. Goes good over pinto beans and collard greens.

Edited by mattpatt

My germination did not go very good her in WI for me, I have two Ghost Pepper plants up here. In LA I have two Reaper and 3 Ghost plants up. With the long growing season down there should have all kinds of time for them to mature and fruit.