• Announcements

• Badgerbuckhunter

Prayers for a longtime Member   11/05/2017

The Church mass shooting that happened today, was Peggy Wardens Church. She was one of the people killed today and her grandson was shot in the arm and is in surgery. Lets keep her in our thoughts and prayers. I made a topic in the "Cabin" I will keep everyone updated as I get information.

dgrad

My Day In Hell

31 posts in this topic

To tell this story, I need to go back and post three pics from last summer. I was on a hill on our property and you can see a farmer's field across the way. This farmer lives three miles away from me. Our property line goes right up to the edge of that field. Last year, that field was planted in dry peas, and deer and elk love those peas. that field was full of deer each evening, including the droptines buck.

post-5081-1437548901_thumb.jpg

i set a pole at the edge of that field, and ended getting thousands of pictures of droptines over 103 consecutive days without a miss. The farmer harvested his dry paes on August 6, and my camera got pics of his combine.

post-5081-1437550140_thumb.jpg

Pic the morning after the harvest

post-5081-1437550240_thumb.jpg

The farmers rotate their crops, and this year Dean had wheat planted in that field. I have been working at a neighbor's place for a couple of weeks, and Monday I came home at noon. I stopped at our mailbox, and I had a package from Snapshot Sniper, and another package containing a camera from Ebay. When I got out to get our mail, I could hear Dean's combine up on the field cutting his wheat. I went home and opened the box with my camera, and I set there checking it out. I wanted to take it outside for some test pictures. When I went outside, I heard a siren and it was coming towards us. Then I smelled smoke. I walked out from the house and saw that Dean's combine had started a wheat fire. I got into my truck and went to see what was going on. We live on a gravel mountain Road and that road makes a switch back a half a mile past our house. Then the road climbs the hill up to the second switchback, which puts you on top of the hill right behind our house.

there is a metal gate at the first s.b. and a half a mile through that gate is where my neighbors Roy and Jean live. When I got out of the truck, I saw more than half of the wheat field had already burned, and the wind was blowing the fire toward our property.It appeared that the wind was moving the fire downhill at an angle away from our house. Now I hear lots of sirens coming our way, so I decided to get back down to the house. I passed three firetrucks on the way back home. This pic shows the fire just leaving the wheat. That fire you could see from our patio 250 yards away.

post-5081-1437556038_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

More and more firetrucks continued to arrive over the next hour, and I started hearing helicopters. Just after 2;00PM a fire fighter started beating on my door. When I opened the door, he asked if I was alone, and I told him it was just me and my dog. He said, "get your dog, get in your truck and get the hell out of here RIGHT NOW !!!! This is a very long story, and it is not over YET. By tomorrow morning, there will be over 900 firefighters on this fire. The fire has burned thousands and thousands of acres and has traveled more than seven miles as the crow flies. One helicopter has crashed fighting this fire. There are eight helicopters, a C130 and two DC-3's fighting this fire. We lost the shop and barn, but just as flames were about to touch the house, helicopters dropped a thousand gallons of water on the house and saved it. Firetrucks were in our yard all night last night. The telephone poles that carry power to the shop and house burned to the ground, and the transformer and power lines were on the ground. They would not let the power company in until 11:00AM this morning. Have you ever had a DC-3 fly this low over your house?

post-5081-1437558481_thumb.jpg

Or had helicopters buzzing around overhead like bees? More on this later. It's not over yet. I have lots of pics.

Bob

post-5081-1437558631_thumb.jpg

Wow, glad you're alright. Comes across different for me (perspective wise) when it happens to someone you "know".

Holy cow I couldn't Imagine having to be burdened with that. Hate to hear about your losses and hope they don't get any worse for you or anyone else.

Oh my goodness, glad to hear you're safe Bob. Speechless.

Wow. That's one exciting day! Thank The Lord they were able to save your house!

Dang Bob, that is a true horror story right there but the good news is they were able to save your house.

I just cannot imagine...scary stuff indeed!!

Thanks Guys !! I am a retired contractor. My shop was 24'x32' with a 12 ceiling. The shop and all of my tools are gone. But I am very fortunate compared to my neighbors Roy and Jean. When the firefighters made me evacuate, I drove up to a two lane blacktop road where our mailboxes are. Then I got out to watch. The state patrol and sheriff's department arrived and set up a roadblock. Roy and Jean drove up before the roadblock was setup. They got out of their truck and walked over to ask me what was going on. While I was talking to them, my barn and shop started burning. The shop was 20 yards from the house. I was told then that the firetrucks had been ordered out because they did not have the equipment to save the house. Jean begged permission for her and Roy to be allowed past the roadblock. They wanted to go home and get their three dogs and two cats out, but their request was denied. The firetrucks started backing up the road toward us. Halfway up, they stopped and just sat there. I told Roy, what are they gonna do, just sit there and watch the fire burn?

But they knew something that we did not know at the time. Help was on the way. I told Roy that I could not stand there and watch the house burn down because I am about to lose everything I own except for the clothes on my back. I got in my truck and left. I went back to my friends house where I had been working. After telling them what was going on, I borrowed their phone to call my wife. My wife is in very poor health and in a nursing home in town. After telling her everything, she was hysterical. I decided to go back to see what had happened to the house. When I went back, the roadblock had been moved a half a mile away from our mailboxes. Only firetrucks are allowed to pass. I pulled off the road and parked and got out and started walking.

in that half mile I passed several law enforcement officers and about ten firetrucks. They were all yelling at me to stop, go back, you can't be in here. But I kept walking. When I got back to our mailboxes, Roy and Jean were still there. And to my surprise, the house was still there and the firetrucks were back in the front yard. Roy told me that right after I left, helicopters arrived and started dumping water on the house. They saved the house. I was so relieved and I told Roy that they are probably doing the same at your house, so I would not worry. There is no cell phone reception here in the mountains, so I left. I had to go tell my wife the good news. I did not return until late that evening. The roadblock had been moved another half a mile. The deputies at the roadblock told me that they could not tell me that I could not go home, but they recommended that I stay away. I told them that I was going home and they let me pass.

When I got home a large firetruck was still in the front yard. There was also another truck called a tender that had a large water tank on the back. To me, the fire appeared to be out and I wondered why they were still here. But they told me the fire was not out yet, and they had been ordered to stay where they were to protect the house. When it got dark, I could see the fire was not out. There was smoldering embers and small flames in the woods and trees all around the house. I sat out there until midnight talking to the firefighters and listening to the latest about the fire on their radio. That night, they told me that my neighbors Roy and Jean had lost their house and everything they own including their pets. I was sick when I heard this, but it made me realize just how lucky I am.

This pic was in our local paper Tuesday. I was out there in that mess somewhere in this pic, and it made me recall my first night in Viet Nam back in 1966

post-5081-1437605295_thumb.jpg

Another pic from Tuesday's paper. This is a C-130 dropping chemicals ahead of the fire. I saw C130's and DSC-3's doing this but I was not close enough to get a picture of it.

post-5081-1437605486_thumb.jpg

I could not even imagine what must be going through y'all's hearts and heads. Pure devastation I'm so sorry for the hurt and pain this is casing your community. May it end now and be spared anymore heartache !