droopy

S600 Fast Hack/yeti Won't Shutter Pic

I just got this from another member so I don't have any experience with it. The board powers up cam like it's supposed to, walk test mode works, then goes out of walk test and arms the camera. When I walk in front of it, I see the green power light come on and the lens extends the rest of the way, but doesn't take a picture.

Now, if I press the shutter button when the board initially powers up the cam, it will snap a pic. Likewise, when cam is armed and senses motion, if I manually press the shutter button it will snap a pic.

Manually powering up the camera in shutter mode results in the "turn camera off and on again" error. The camera will not work by itself except in review mode. This is normal for a fast hack S600?. Occasionally, while hooked to the board, I've seen the lens retract all the way back into the camera, isn't it supposed to stay half way out?

It seemed to me something's going on with the camera, so I took it apart and checked the wires and hack points. From what I can tell, it all looks good. I didn't completely examine everything, but what I could see without taking it down to bare bones looked fine. Mainly paying attention to the shutter & shutter common wires.

Put the camera back together and disconnected from Yeti board. Jumpered power & power common & cam turns on. Jumpered shutter & shutter common = nothing. Then I tried jumping shutter & shutter common while pressing the shutter button manually = nothing.

Any ideas? This is a 4 wire hack with a stereo jack. Do the stereo jacks go bad?

Edited by droopy

Did it work previously or just start doing this?

No idea on stereo jacks as have never done one. I'm going on an assumption that if the camera turns on and off using the stereo jack then it is good but again all assumptin on my part.

The "turn off/on" error you'll get on the fast hacked cameras (S40/600) and to get rid of it (to either make it a reg. hack or to test) you need to connect the lens and common wire. You still will probably get this error if switching from review to pic. taking mode but if just in pic. taking mode won't. Not sure on the hack done on the S600 as I've seen 2 different ways to hack (plus 2 different hack points on one of them). My assumption though would be the shutter wire is either shorting or not soldered good enough.

Side note. I do all my S600/40's as fast hacks and if just want it to be a regular hack I just solder the common and shutter wires together and it's a regular hack. If would ever decide wanted it to be a fast hack then just have to seperate the wires instead of reopening the camera and soldering a wire to the lens.

Maybe get back in touch with the original owner and ask him?

Don't know if this will help or not (I'm on dial up so don't watch videos) but it says S600 fast hack with stereo jack so may help?

http://www.diytrailcams.com/post/sony-s600...?pid=1273046320

Edited by IroquoisArcher

You say its a 4 wire hack. Does it have externals? If it does you are hooking your external positive to the shutter. Try unhooking your shutter common and touch it to the shutter when your testing it

Try setting board to take two pictures. If it shutters just one picture it is likely a case that the camera is not ready to go at the time of the first shutter event (? - still charging flash capacitor for instance - ?). I hope this is not the case but it would indicate that the board timing is slightly too fast for the S600 you have.

Hey Guys, a little more background info on this particular camera...

It is one of the units I just sold in the classifieds. I bought this s600 from a member here (with the fast hack already done) a few years back. After finishing the build I never had any problems with the camera and never had to open it up, so I can't say how the wiring was done. I can tell you that it does not have external power.

I tested this one in my yard a few weeks back and it was working as normal before I listed it for sale. All of the other cameras arrived safely and in working condition, but this one seems to have an issue now. Perhaps a wire came loose or something like that during shipment...

At any rate, I have exchanged several PM's with the OP and I have told him everything I know about the camera, which isn't a lot. It had been a few years since I used it, and really don't remember much about the fast hack s600's. (It was the only one I ever had)

Any help or advice you guys can give to help get this camera working again will be greatly appreciated!!

In the worst case scenario, I have already offered to buy the camera back from the OP if he is unable to get it working to his satisfaction...

Thanks,

Chad

I just got this from another member so I don't have any experience with it. The board powers up cam like it's supposed to, walk test mode works, then goes out of walk test and arms the camera. When I walk in front of it, I see the green power light come on and the lens extends the rest of the way, but doesn't take a picture.

Now, if I press the shutter button when the board initially powers up the cam, it will snap a pic. Likewise, when cam is armed and senses motion, if I manually press the shutter button it will snap a pic.

Manually powering up the camera in shutter mode results in the "turn camera off and on again" error. The camera will not work by itself except in review mode. This is normal for a fast hack S600?. Occasionally, while hooked to the board, I've seen the lens retract all the way back into the camera, isn't it supposed to stay half way out?

It seemed to me something's going on with the camera, so I took it apart and checked the wires and hack points. From what I can tell, it all looks good. I didn't completely examine everything, but what I could see without taking it down to bare bones looked fine. Mainly paying attention to the shutter & shutter common wires.

Put the camera back together and disconnected from Yeti board. Jumpered power & power common & cam turns on. Jumpered shutter & shutter common = nothing. Then I tried jumping shutter & shutter common while pressing the shutter button manually = nothing.

Any ideas? This is a 4 wire hack with a stereo jack. Do the stereo jacks go bad?

When it's connected to the board, did you have the screen off? This is critical. If not, the camera will be too slow to power on and will miss the signal to shutter a pic. If you have the Yeti board set to take two pics, it should take one on the second signal.

To test it when it is disconnected from the board, you need to tie power common and shutter common together. That is, not just touch them together, but jumper them for the duration of the test. Then touch power to power common and it should power up. Touch shutter to power common and it should take a pic.

If the lens is retracting fully when connected to the board then either something is shorting out your common and cam power wires or you have a battery issue and the camera is turning off. Are you using rechargeable batteries in the camera? If not this could be your problem. A few other things I would do is clean up the battery contacts on the door and down inside the camera and lift them up a little bit carefully. I use sandpaper and tweezers to reach down in the cam to clean up the inside contacts. Initialize the camera and reset all of your camera settings making sure to turn the lcd screen off when testing.

Thanks for the replies. As Chad said, there are no externals on the cam. Yes, I have been turning the LCD off prior to testing. I just cleaned the battery terminals and lifted them up a little.

So let me get this right, to test the camera not hooked to the board, I am turning the power on in review mode, turning the LCD off, then powering off the camera.

Then, I hook the shutter common & power common together and touch the power wire to both SC & PC and the camera powers on. Then, leaving SC & PC connected, I touch the shutter wire to them? It's still not taking a pic, so that tells me I need to open up the camera again and check the hack points and anything that could be shorting.

Yes that is correct. You can keep the lcd screen on for this testing. When you turn the camera on with the SC and PC twisted together is there an error message showing on the screen?

Yes that is correct. You can keep the lcd screen on for this testing. When you turn the camera on with the SC and PC twisted together is there an error message showing on the screen?

ah ha. No there isn't. But when I disconnect the SC & PC the error comes back. What's this tell you?

ah ha. No there isn't. But when I disconnect the SC & PC the error comes back. What's this tell you?

That tells me that there is no issue with the SC and PC wires. When you touch the shutter wire to the twisted SC and PC does anything show on the screen, can you tell if the cam is trying to take a picture? Also, make sure it shutters when pressing the shutter button on the cam when it is on and the wires are twisted.

That tells me that there is no issue with the SC and PC wires. When you touch the shutter wire to the twisted SC and PC does anything show on the screen, can you tell if the cam is trying to take a picture? Also, make sure it shutters when pressing the shutter button on the cam when it is on and the wires are twisted.

Nope, doesn't even try to take a pic when I touch the shutter wire, but manually taking a picture works. This says there's a problem with the shutter wire (which is yellow on this hack) so open the camera back up and trace the yellow wire?

Bingo!!! The shutter wire must've rattled loose, soldered it back on and everything works like a charm! Thanks for all the troubleshooting assistance.

I should've looked closer when I had the cam apart the first time but I didn't pop the little board off that holds the shutter button. I just peeked in there and it looked ok. Knowing for sure it was the shutter wire helped look in the right spot, but dang that's a tiny solder point! Can't wait to set this up and get some pics :D