Sign in to follow this  
dgrad

Cougar

I went up the mountain this afternoon to check my camera at the elk wallow. I always park at my neighbor's house and then hike over to the wallow. When I got to Brent's house. I went into his house to visit with him before I started my hike. They were watching The Seahawks football game. Brent happened to look out the window, and he saw a cougar walking down a ridge across the way. His son Paul went in and got a rifle and a range finder. The cat was 374 yards away. Paul steadied his dad's 300 magnum on the deck railing and fired. He knocked the cat down, but it got up and ran downhill into some thick brush. Paul did not have his hunting license and tags with him because he was at his parents house visiting and watching football. He did not come to hunt. While we were waiting for Paul to return, Brent said if the cat is dead down in that brush he might be hard to find.

I told him if the cat is over there, Buddy will find it, I just hope the cat is dead. When we got in the area where we last saw the cat, Buddy picked up the trail and took off downhill. I told Brent and Paul to stay up here, and I went looking for Buddy. That brush was horrible and covered with thorns. I had to crawl through it for some distance. Finally I saw Buddy down below standing over the dead cat.

Paul with his first cat

post-5081-1443414040_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

Another pic

post-5081-1443414438_thumb.jpg

After we got the cat out of the brush and took a few pics, we gutted it so it would be easier to pack out. When we got it back to Brent's house, we weighed the gutted cat. It weighed a little over 80 pounds, so it probably weighed about 100 pounds live. It was a female that measured 83 inches from tip of nose to tip of it's tail. This is Paul's 14 year old daughter holding the cat for a pic.. I never made it to check my camera, so I will do that tomorrow.

Bob

post-5081-1443414963_thumb.jpg

Thanks John. I have a spare camera that I carry in my pack when I go to the wallow. I use this camera to look through my videos. I have never set the time and date on this camera. When I edited the pics that I took yesterday, I had to change the time and date, and I made a mistake on the third pic. That pic was obviously not taken in October 2015.

Edited by dgrad

Super! Thanks for sharing the story and pics Bob.