antlrcolectr

Arkansas 2014 Before And After

Since I just logged on again today I thought I'd share how I did last year during my first year living/hunting in Arkansas, the land of little bodied deer.. and humidity. I was fortunate enough to get on a decent 3rd generation family lease in a part of the state known for larger bucks. They said that this buck one was the largest they had harvested on the lease in several years. Just about everyone on the lease had seen pics of him, and they called him the moose.. Its a 10 point (9 and a half really) that scored 135... And I swear to god coming from Kansas and being used to larger bodied deer, I thought it scored 160 when I shot him. The old saying is the big bodied deer in Canada make a big rack look small... well in Arkansas, the little bodied deer make a little rack look big. He weighed 190lbs on the hoof and was aged at 7 1/2 years old. I've had Kansas does that weigh more than that after being field dressed. :blink: But I'm not complaining, I was very happy with this deer! A doe I shot earlier in the season was aged at 3.5 years and weighed 120 pounds on the hoof.

Here's the before

post-2689-1443974226_thumb.jpg

post-2689-1443974236_thumb.jpg

post-2689-1443974297_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple after.

post-2689-1443974435_thumb.jpg

And a final pic

post-2689-1443974473_thumb.jpg

Great job on the successful harvest. Love to see the before and after's! Thanks for sharing.

Nice job! Yes, that is a big deer for here and is as large as any those who hunt with me have taken. No offense, but a 135 is not small. 150 would be really large, and larger are taken, but yours would be a trophy in most camps. Not sure I appreciate the comments about our deer, they are what they are. If you want larger ones go back and hunt Kansas, if you want really small deer with really big racks, go to Texas. Congrats on the kill.