Sign in to follow this  
ko4nrbs

Boat Access Only

How many of you have to use a boat to get to your hunt area? I have an excellent spot on the river that is about a 20 minute ride from the boat ramp. Having to use the boat is kinda of a pain especially in cold weather. A couple of years ago my buddy and I did it in December when it was in the low 20's. It was in the dark so he ran the spot light while I drove. We busted through thin ice pretty much the whole way. The 20 minute trip took over 2 hours. I ended up with Hypothermia and had to be brought home sick as a dog!! Never again.

It's going to be in the 60's today so I am heading down there to check my trail cameras and do a little hunting. If I see any good sign I'll go back Monday morning and stay the night in the boat then hunt Tuesday. I'll head back before dark!! I have seen some monster bucks in this area on the cameras.

Nobody ever said it was easy!!

Bill

Never had to use a boat before. I can remember as a teenager, a friend and I would wade across a creek, sometimes almost chest deep, just to get to a grey squirrel on the other side and that water was COLD. You talking about crazy!!! Those were good times but only something a foolish kid would do. :D

Be safe out there Bill. It doesn't have to be freezing for you to become hypothermic.

Well I made it out there and back ok. Checked my trail cameras and only had a small 4 point buck and several does. It was a great day, sunny and in the high 60's.

Cleared an area under a big cedar tree at the base of a long running hill. Also found a good tree for my climbing tree stand if I want to use it.

The absence of bucks in this area leads me to believe the runt either isn't on yet or they are holed up someplace else. Too many does in this spot for there to be no bucks if the rut is on.

Bill

Man you guys are crazy. I guess I did wild stuff like that when I was young to but no way would I go to that extreme to hunt anymore. Seems to get harder every year to spend the day in a tree stand. I still love the out doors though.

Man you guys are crazy. I guess I did wild stuff like that when I was young to but no way would I go to that extreme to hunt anymore. Seems to get harder every year to spend the day in a tree stand. I still love the out doors though.

Steve, it is a wonder I can even remember doing that because it was 40 years ago, maybe a little longer. Did a lot of crazy stuff back then that I wouldn't think of doing now.

Never used a boat to get to my treestand, but I can imagine those hard to get areas hold some prime deer.

Heading back out there Wednesday morning to hunt. I will hunt Wednesday till dark then spend the night in the boat so I can hunt Thursday morning. I'll leave late Thursday afternoon. I'll post my results or lack thereof.

Bill

Well ended up not spending the night. Didn't think it was worth the effort. Sat in the climber for 6 hours and didn't see anything. Used my grunt calls and did some rattling to.

Climbed down the tree and walked around looking for any sign. Didn't even see a track much less any sign. They do frequent this area but are not around now.

Will be Gun Hunting this weekend on Camp Gruber near Tahlequah, OK.

The Oklahoma Wildlife biologist post this:

NORTHEAST REGION

By Mike Plunkett, senior biologist

CURRENT BUCK RUTTING ACTIVITY: Mature bucks are showing some pre-rut activity, with smaller bucks being seen a little more often chasing or searching for does.

HABITAT CONDITIONS: Conditions are great in the northeast due to abundant rainfall through summer. The acorn crop is very abundant nearly region-wide. Persimmons are also plentiful.

WHAT HUNTERS, LANDOWNERS ARE SAYING: They are seeing smaller bucks chasing or searching for does.

Bill