pdskal

Lacrosse Bc-700 Charger Results

I recently picked up one of these LaCrosse chargers. I'm using it specifically for testing the capacity of the AA cells I'm using. I have several sets of AA's that are going on 5 years old so I wanted to reassure myself that they are still cranking away as expected. I'm still using my 8 bay maha smart charger but it lacks the "capacity" feature. For $30 bucks, it's well worth it in my opinion.

I thought I'd share a few results. Keep an eye on follow-up posts as I test my AA's

Here are the white top Duracells aka Duraloops. These have been really good to me over the years

Multiply the number x1000 to get mAh.

post-8074-1451968660_thumb.jpg

Here are the imedions. They are rated a bit higher and have tested out. Run about 15% more capacity than the white tops.

post-8074-1451968928_thumb.jpg

Are you using the discharge refresh mode or test mode? I used to discharge refresh and I had 2 batteries that were pretty bad, first cycle one was at 450mAh and the other at 920mAh, after a few cycles they were up to 2060mAh and 2030Mah. Had other batteries that gained 400mAh. I just got one of these for Christmas and have been sending all my batteries through the discharge refresh mode.

Right now I'm just using the 'test' mode. So this means the charger slowly discharges the cell once and charges it back up. Meanwhile during that single cycle it measures capacity when it reaches "full". I have not used the refresh or condition mode yet. I want to get through all my AA's once using test mode to see where they stand.

I have conditioned these cells thru the years using my maha smart charger. They never seen a dummy charger so they actually are in pretty good shape for being 5 years old. I have a lot of AA's to go through. I'll keep things posted. Haven't got to the Eneloops that I get from Costco yet.

Here are the results from a set of 4 Eneloops from Costco. They have light blue & dark blue wraps on these cells.

post-8074-1452360337_thumb.jpg

Are you using the discharge refresh mode or test mode? I used to discharge refresh and I had 2 batteries that were pretty bad, first cycle one was at 450mAh and the other at 920mAh, after a few cycles they were up to 2060mAh and 2030Mah. Had other batteries that gained 400mAh. I just got one of these for Christmas and have been sending all my batteries through the discharge refresh mode.

I've doing that discharge refresh to all my batteries too. That is my favorite charger for AA batteries!

thanks for the link Bill. I have owned this charger for a few years and never totally understood how to work it, that post explains quite bit.

thanks for the link Bill. I have owned this charger for a few years and never totally understood how to work it, that post explains quite bit.

Many of today's chargers require some research if you are to receive the full benefit of their design features. As an example I spent a few hours studying and playing with my Hobby Chargers before I felt I could adequately tap into all they offered. It's also amazing what a sub $30.00 charger can do in today's world.

Bill

Dark blue wraps.

post-8074-1453041410_thumb.jpg

I have some silver wrapped cells from Apple that I plan on testing next.

These are from Apple, silver wraps on these NiMH cells. I'm guessing they are rewrapped Eneloops.

post-8074-1453091307_thumb.jpg