Sign in to follow this  
ko4nrbs

Solar External Power For H55

11 posts in this topic

This might work if I connect the camera in parallel with the battery bank's cells and don't use it's output.

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale...mAh_2X_USB_OUT/

I'll test it when I get home.

I would mount in inside the lid of the case I use and Goop it in with the Solar Panel showing to the outside.

Bill

You will want the solar panel mounted roughly around 45 degrees. Straight up and down won't charge much I don't think. No way possible it charges at roughly 1100mah either.

If I charge the Battery bank up first I thought the Solar Panel may keep the cells in the Battery Bank topped off. I'll do some more investigating.

Bill

Would sure be awesome if it did. Twenty bucks for solar and external in one sweet.

Due to theft problems I have to keep as small a footprint as I can. I'd really like to put out a large Solar Panel with a 6 volt battery but it would be stolen pretty quick. It's getting pretty bad in my area now. So many Crack Heads roaming around.

I'll test this one and see how it works out.

Bill

There are several of these Solar Power Banks on the market. I prefer to purchase from Amazon in case I get a bad one.

Here is an example of another one. UPDATE- This one can not be Solar Charged when the Battery Bank is at 75% or more or it will overheat and damage the batteries in the bank!! Some others may do that to. On with the search!!

http://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-12000mAh-Rai...eywords=Nekteck

I'm not looking for it to charge the camera's battery. I want one that I can connect the camera's battery in parallel with so I can use the Solar Battery Bank as external power. I'm expecting the Solar Panel to keep the Battery Bank charged after I charge it fully at home.

I'll update when I decide on which one I buy. Wii have to wait until I get home in 2 or 3 weeks. The WiFi while travel just plain stinks!!

Bill

Edited by ko4nrbs

I've pretty much beat this to death and have come to find that the Solar Charging in the banks is inadequate for my uses. The Solar charge is going to allow you an emergency phone call and not much else. Solar Panel is just too small to keep the battery bank charged.

Oh well, it was interesting anyway!!

Bill

Regarding the panels have you tried looking on WISH.COM they have lots of them and a lot cheaper coming from the same place.

Regarding the panels have you tried looking on WISH.COM they have lots of them and a lot cheaper coming from the same place.

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!!

Bill

They sell a solar charger like that on ebay that you put your own 18650s in. The 10000mah rating is a bunch of crap. I bought a kit and put 3 single 18650 holders in there, each had a protection circuit I added. Then I knew what the capacity one. You can fit 5 18650s in there if you connect the thing piece of metal to each end. I could only do that via soldering and didn't want to do that. If you did that, and actually had 5-2000mah 18650s, then you could get 10000mah. The solar panel would still take a long time to recharge the batteries, but I bet you could get a long run time out of 10000mah with even that small of a solar charger.

They sell a solar charger like that on ebay that you put your own 18650s in. The 10000mah rating is a bunch of crap. I bought a kit and put 3 single 18650 holders in there, each had a protection circuit I added. Then I knew what the capacity one. You can fit 5 18650s in there if you connect the thing piece of metal to each end. I could only do that via soldering and didn't want to do that. If you did that, and actually had 5-2000mah 18650s, then you could get 10000mah. The solar panel would still take a long time to recharge the batteries, but I bet you could get a long run time out of 10000mah with even that small of a solar charger.

I agree. Build your own is the only way to know what you have. A lot of misrepresentation about capacities for sure!!

Bill