Sign in to follow this  
speed2spare

750 Yard Dinger

My younger brother and his friend pulled in this morning to do a little shooting with his long range guns. Dinger is 16" x 16". Dinger at 756 yards by the range finder. Wind 14 mph, mostly a head wind, with a slight left to right. Wind speed also changed constantly. First gun out Remington 700 in .257 Weatherby shooting 110 grain accubonds. Brother shoots first and hits dinger on third shot. Friend shoots and takes 4 shots to hit dinger. He had the height right with most all shots but the pulsing winds, made the left and right difficult to get the hold exactly right.

Brother pulls out the second gun. Remington 700 in 300 Remington Ultra Mag shooting 190 Accubonds. Again takes my brother 3 shots to ring the dinger. The friend don't like that gun for some reason and doesn't shoot it. All the shots with both guns that didn't connect were misses by mere inches. Like all long range shooting, if we could have removed the cross wind it would have been much simpler. It is also somewhat surprising how long a bullets fiight time is at that distance.

That's great I think. I was practicing last year with my 700 shooting 130 grams in a 270 it is amazing how good this one shoots. I've never tried longer that about 300 on this one but it holds good. If I can get better this year healthwise I want to try it at a longer distance. Thanks for posting your results.

That's some serious distance! Ballistic charts sure help get you close, but that wind can be deceiving!