Been fighting beavers on our hunt club and getting rid of them is getting more difficult than expected so I broke a darn and put a cam on it to see when they are active in doing the repairs, May have to introduce them to some buckshot. . .

First pic is shot right after breaking a hole, note the water level near the top of the pic

post-314-1465823951_thumb.jpg

Bringing in a helper, see the eyes to the left, I wish it was an alligator . .

post-314-1465824265_thumb.jpg

Cam is a D380, it got out of alignment, you can see the gasket in the bottom of the pics, one pic I cropped but left the rest. I hung the cam on a smallish cedar tree in the water behind the darn. Was glad when I returned that it wasnt part of the darn when I returned but for some reason they dont seen to eat the live cedar trees. Beavers arrived to start repairs around 10:45PM the night that I broke the darn. We have several and they are flooding all our low creek ground killing a bunch of hardwoods. One beaver pond isnt bad but they have reproduced and are spreading out putting dams every couple hundred yards.

The battle continues

They can be a real pest for sure. The sound of running water triggers the darn building frenzy where as the sound gun fire has the opposite effect, so I've heard :D

Good luck man!

I had read somewhere how to help resolve the problem. Not sure if you could get it to work for your area. If you tear down a spot in the darn. Then you put a large pipe in there and secure it. The upstream end would have a cap on the end with holes drilled in it and around the pipe. The bottom end would be similar. The beavers can build back around the pipe, but the water will not continue to rise. I've seen another option on youtube that might be a little more fun. They put a large container of tannerite at the darm and shot it from a good distance. Blew a nice big hole out of the darn. Didn't take long for the beavers to come inspect, and then there was some splashing and no more beaver, lol.

Hope the pipe thing makes some kind of sense, Might be able to google it.

I had read somewhere how to help resolve the problem. Not sure if you could get it to work for your area. If you tear down a spot in the darn. Then you put a large pipe in there and secure it. The upstream end would have a cap on the end with holes drilled in it and around the pipe. The bottom end would be similar. The beavers can build back around the pipe, but the water will not continue to rise. I've seen another option on youtube that might be a little more fun. They put a large container of tannerite at the darm and shot it from a good distance. Blew a nice big hole out of the darn. Didn't take long for the beavers to come inspect, and then there was some splashing and no more beaver, lol.

Hope the pipe thing makes some kind of sense, Might be able to google it.

They are called beaver deceivers. They do work pretty good. You don't get rid of all the water but it lowers it to whatever you are acceptable with. We installed a few and the beavers could never figure out how to stop them. Google Beaver Deceiver to see them.

Edited by Gumby

Here is the ones we used. The end of the tube has a bunch of 1.5 inch holes in it , about 30-40 holes. The Hoops around the end hold page wire out about a foot from the tube. Works pretty good.

post-8233-1465921889_thumb.jpg

We've used a beaver excluder like that, but they just heaped mud around and in it and kept their water level up just as if it wasn't there.

It's just amazing to me that they can build a darn in running water like that. I would have a heck of a time trying to get the sticks and limbs to stay until it was done.