Firemanjim

New Board Now Available

Bob Kieffer asked me to help him with a project a month or so ago. He had a small call that he wanted me to design a board to run. Some of his requirements were it had to have a CDS sensor to monitor day and night. It had to be controlled by a picaxe chip which would enable him or anyone the ability to "tweak" the program. It needed several Dip Switches so the programming can be adjusted in the field. Actually all the requirements were easily met. So I designed the board, got a few prototype boards made and the testing began. I ordered a call from Ebay. Did the very simple hack. Downloaded the program and began testing. It works flawlessly. The more I thought about it I realized that this board could also have another purpose for us "Homebrewers"....For a couple years now we have been using a day/night circuit board that I had made up using a circuit that DKirk designed. It would turn On a remote slave flash at night and turn it Off in the daytime. The problem with it was the slave flash was "Always ON" which killed the battery life substantially. We needed a board that would just turn on the slave for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so to refresh the capacitor but we needed the ability to "sense" when the slave fires so it can turn on the power to the slave immeadiately so it could refresh everything and be able to fire the second shop. So by simply adding a PT sensor to the circuit I was able to do just that. The PT sensor tells the chip if the slave fires between the 10 minute cycle so it can instantly recharge just like the SlavePRO1 and the other slave control boards do. This will greatly save battery life in the remote wireless slave builds all the DSLR folks are using. These boards will be available in about 2 weeks or so...I hope they help the Homebrew community.

20160629_102902_zpsnuyolqyk.jpg

Edited by Firemanjim

Jim, My computer is down and I won't be online til mid-week next week. On a friends computer tonight. Thank you for the boards you sent. I will contact you next week to see what I owe you for this stuff. I fell for a scam last week and let a guy convince me he was from Microsoft. I ended up having to close my bank accounts and I am waiting for new credit cards and debit cards. Been a tough week for me. With all the cougars we have around here, I am anxious to try out this new caller.

Thanks Jim, Bob

Okay, I think this may answer my question from my recent thread. Any new or recent info on the performance of these?

The Wireless Receiver triggers the flash. The new day night board has nothing to do with triggering the flash. The old day night board simply turned on the slave at dark and off at dawn. Was really hard on battery life because the slave was powered on constantly. The new board works like the other slave controllers work. It turns on the slave for 30 seconds at dusk to fully charge it. It then turns it off and the PT sensor starts looking for a flash from the wireless slave. So the PT sensor goes in front of the slave flash bulb. If it senses a flash it instantly turn s on the slave to ready it for the next shot. If nothing happens it turns off in 14 seconds. It turns on the slave every 10 minutes for 10 seconds to top it off. At dawn it turns the system off .