Coyote08

Sony 3v Cams With 18650

I know there had been some talk earlier this year about pairing up the lithium 18650s with some Sony 3V cams. With Ralph's(bigbassman) suggestions I used a 1N4001 Diode in the positive wire from the battery holder. I used 3-18650s in parallel. The voltage seems to be between 3.3V and 3.5V. Those of you who were afraid to fry your cams could use this option. I have this setup for externals with a Sony S40. No problems with cam. I think its been setup like that for about 2 months now.

I did the same thing with the diode....using 18650s to power a 3v slave and it works perfectly!

I've been using 18650s in DXG video builds for a few years now without any problems as the cameras battery is 3.7 volts the same as the 18650.

I also use them to run some of my S600s as external power without batteries in the camera itself...they have been working fine.

Can someone explain what the diode in the positive lead of the battery holder is for, should I be doing that also? Thanks.

The diode is used to drop the voltage. A fully charged 18650 charges to 4.2v. I know the p32 will run off of the 4.2v no problem, and I assume all the rest would as well withou issue. Like said though have to run without internal batteries though.

So the 18650s work with a 3V flash? I thought I had read flashes didn't work well with lithiums. I had thought about using 2 18650s in series with 2 dioes with a viv 2800 but didn't after reading lithium weren't recommended for flashes.

So the 18650s work with a 3V flash? I thought I had read flashes didn't work well with lithiums. I had thought about using 2 18650s in series with 2 dioes with a viv 2800 but didn't after reading lithium weren't recommended for flashes.

Like mentioned...2 18650 batteries wired parallel puts about 4.2 v. With the inline diode, it bumps the voltage down to about 3.7v .. that powers the 3v slave flash. It may work fine without the diode...but the slight voltage drop is just some insurance. (per RC Davis)

For those of you using 18650s with Sony cams, are you leaving batteries out of the camera? I noticed at least with a S40, the date/time screen comes up when I turn the camera on after setting. If I just use batteries in the cam, no problem. Found out even with 3.7V from the 18650s the NIMH batteries get too hot in camera, so can't do that.

You usually need the batteries in the camera or you get the "use compatible battery" message. You can use the Sony battery in the camera and tape off the positive contact if you want.

You usually need the batteries in the camera or you get the "use compatible battery" message. You can use the Sony battery in the camera and tape off the positive contact if you want.

That would be with the cams using the BG1 or similar lithium battery. The s40 of course would be NIMH AA's. I had assumed that with the cams using the lithium 3,7v battery that 18650's could be used as EP WITH a BG1 in the camera as well. No?

Edited by befus