pdskal

Panasonic Fs7 Gamewatcher Build

Rarely build white flash, but I have a spot I think would justify the beauty of an fs7. Finally building one of these, finally getting to it. Thinking about pairing it with a baby slave. Thinking about using a 1040 for the cam, controller and external power and a 1020 for a remote baby slave. Or I might put it all in a 3250. Decisions, decisions, decisions... Stay tuned for build thoughts & pics. Chime in with questions, comments, answers to my questions.

My first thought is when hacking this, should I bring the wires out of the top or bottom? Depends if I want to place the cam at the top or bottom of the case.

You will like the FS7 pictures

How do you control this setup?

So I have a new surface mount RCDavis Slave Controller and a 1.5V baby slave flash unit.

post-8074-1472592870_thumb.jpg

Thinking I need 6.0 Volts to power the Slave Controller and 1.5 Volts to power the baby slave. Due to space, I may go with a 4AAA holder (6.0V) and a D cell holder (1.5V). Thoughts?

I need to hack this baby slave somehow too.

The FS7 is a decent cam. There is some slave hack info out there don't know if this is it or not.

http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/index.php?...039&hl=hack

Paul....the fs7 with a baby slave is an awesome combination! I have that same combo in a pelican 1060 case....but I used Ralphs slave backpacker with his control boards which gives a bit more room in the case...but I'm sure you can figure a way to squeeze it all in a 3250.(my fav. case,but near impossible to find). I'm hoping you do one of your pictorials on this build...as we always enjoy viewing those. Here is a pic of that set-up...the 1.5v d-cell is in the project box with the baby slave.

DSC01487_zps1b596e2b.jpg

Edited by zaj56

Good comments guys. I'm sitting here thinking of all the possibilities, that's the fun of homebrewing. Need to make some decisions I guess.

Really debating on the internal versus external slave flash. I tend to always go "internal", but maybe it's time to try an external. I played with a bunch of cases today, moving components and battery holders around. Didn't think of using a 1060 though. Worth a sample layout to see if it works for me and the style of build I want.

Good comments guys. I'm sitting here thinking of all the possibilities, that's the fun of homebrewing. Need to make some decisions I guess.

Really debating on the internal versus external slave flash. I tend to always go "internal", but maybe it's time to try an external. I played with a bunch of cases today, moving components and battery holders around. Didn't think of using a 1060 though. Worth a sample layout to see if it works for me and the style of build I want.

The 1060 is a little wider than the 3250...but the 3250 is a little deeper...If you go with an external slave..the wireless slaves are another option...just wanted to add to the confusion..lol

Paul, here's a pic of a build in a 1060. Befus has the link for the slave hack. I would check with Ralph and see what kind of voltage you need to run the slave board, you may be able to get away with 4.5 volts since it's not powering the slave or you may be able to run it on 9 volts as well, either option would save you some space in the case. Shoot me a text if you have any questions along the way or post up here, I'll be watching.....

http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/index.php?...=52998&st=0

Paul, you could use a 9v to operate the controller board. That would free up some space for you.

Noted, great to hear. Not sure on my layout yet, but a 9V may be just what I need instead of a 4-cell holder.

The 1060 is a little wider than the 3250...but the 3250 is a little deeper...If you go with an external slave..the wireless slaves are another option...just wanted to add to the confusion..lol

Is wireless the way to go in your opinion? Not afraid to try something new, but I already have bins of homebrew stuff, not sure if I want to add another bin of wireless "stuff". :lol:

Is there a wireless tutorial somewhere? Does this use the day/night board FMJ talks about?

Its just another option..will let you place the slave(s)wherever you want.....up to 70 ft. away. You would need a trasmitter/receiver and a day/night board..I'm almost certain FMJ has all that stuff.

Its just another option..will let you place the slave(s)wherever you want.....up to 70 ft. away. You would need a trasmitter/receiver and a day/night board..I'm almost certain FMJ has all that stuff.

How does the remote slave cap stay topped off? Doesn't the wireless signal only "trigger" the slave?

Quick edit, I just see this thread from Firemanjim. http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/index.php?...opic=56100&

How is the new day/night board working out for you Joe???

Great....It really made a large improvement on the slave battery life.