pdskal

Day Video & Night Stills

Curious to have a small forum discussion on hackable cameras that are capable of providing color day video & color still photos at night. I've noticed a few builds from members & new hack videos posted. All excellent stuff. Glad to see our hobby advancing into some newer ideas and equipment. I'd be interested in compiling a list for members, detailing briefly the options available. Items such as, make & model of camera, MP, HD video quality, audio/mic quality, lens/snorkel size, battery type, memory card size/type, ebay estimated cost of camera, etc. Members feel free to share experiences, questions, thoughts on this topic.

For me personally, I haven't built a unit like this yet. I'd like to in the future and I'm hoping this information can help me & other members here choose what camera fits my/their needs best.

Working on a summary:

Olympus VG140

Olympus VG170

Olympus VG190

Olympus VR340

Olympus VR370

Fuji JX series

Fuji JZ100

Fuji JZ250

Panasonic SZ1 - 720p

Panasonic SZ02 - 720p

Panasonic SZ5

Panasonic SZ7 - 1080p

Panasonic SZ9

Panasonic TS1

Panasonic TS4

Sony WX50

Wish I could add some specifics for each camera in the list but general info is about all I could give and that is all easily obtained through online search engines. The one camera I would strongly consider removing from the list is the Sony WX50or having a notation about the hack difficulty. That camera is very difficult to hack for video and most likely if it doesn't work the first time you won't get a 2nd chance. For that reason I will not be attempting to do anymore of those, I was able to get 2 out of the 3 that I attempted and was lucky. The Sony WX7 is the same hack as the WX50 so I won't do those either. Just putting this out there so that anyone that wants to attempt hacking either of those cameras for day videos knows in advance that they can be very difficult to do.

The WX50 is not a good camera for pictures in my opinion because the huge lens requires a large snorkel. With the flash so close to the extending lens, there would be a large shadow in the bottom left corner of the pictures, I will be curious to see which of these cameras has the 1920p AVCHD video the WX50 has. You can do a two wire hack on the WX50 IF you want to use it as a "day only" video camera. All of the WX and HX series cameras are difficult hacks, but not impossible.

The HX series cameras have a pop-up flash that reduces the size of the shadow. This picture was taken by an HX20V. If the WX50 had taken this pic, the bait would be in the shadow

post-5081-1473050894_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

Both of these cameras take awesome night pictures. The same picture cropped

post-5081-1473051114_thumb.jpg

I wrote down all of these camera models and did some research. The WX50 is the only one I would consider using