• Announcements

• Badgerbuckhunter

Prayers for a longtime Member   11/05/2017

The Church mass shooting that happened today, was Peggy Wardens Church. She was one of the people killed today and her grandson was shot in the arm and is in surgery. Lets keep her in our thoughts and prayers. I made a topic in the "Cabin" I will keep everyone updated as I get information.

Sign in to follow this  
dgrad

A Viscous Encounter

11 posts in this topic

In the past many times I have heard, "Be Careful Out There." I think that comment was always in reference to my being around bears and cougars. Well I have absolutely no fear of bears and cougars at all, BUT this morning, I had an encounter with a viscous wild critter that I will FEAR and steer clear of if I have a future encounter.

Early this morning, I went out and opened the hood of my truck to install my charged battery so I could go to the VA hospital for my physical. When I opened the hood, I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, and when I looked I saw what at first I thought to be a chipmunk. I thought how cute and went back into the house and got my camera and came back out and took the first picture attached to this mail. Then I needed to close my hood and head for town, but I didn't want to drive away with the poor critter still under my hood, so I waved my hand and tried to shoo it away, but it refused to move. So I thought something was wrong with it, so I reached over and grabbed it by the nape of it's neck and lifted it out of my engine compartment. As I lifted it up I noticed the dark lateral lines down it's sides, it's very loose skin and the flat cupped tail. This is when I realized this critter was actually a flying squirrel. This was actually the first time I have ever seen one in person, but I have had hundreds of pictures over the years down at the bear tree. I didn't want to sit the poor squirrel on the ground with several of our outside cats in the front yard at the time, so I was going to take it over and put it on the maple tree in the front yard. But when I brought my hand toward me so I could close the hood, the squirrel came ALIVE and went ballistic on me. It turned and bit the Hell out of my thumb, and I let go of the viscous critter. It grabbed my arm and jumped across and landed on my chest sinking it's VERY sharp claws into my chest through my sweatshirt, and then it ran down my chest onto my jeans and ran down my leg to the ground and took off. I stood there thinking, "HOLY COW what just happened," but I had to hurry to get to my appointment at the VA hospital, so I closed my hood and left. As I was driving away,I saw my thumb was bleeding profusely, so I wrapped a napkin around it.

When I was in the lab at the VA hospital, a young lady who was in the process of drawing a blood sample asked me, 'Well sir, how is your day going?" I told her just fine now, but just before I came here I was attacked by a flying squirrel that proceeded to bite the Hell out of my thumb. Then I told her my story and showed her my thumb which was still bleeding. Then she told me when I see my doctor for my physical that I better tell her about this because that squirrel might have rabies. I told her, " No thanks, I will not tell my doctor." She then said, "Well okay but if you start foaming at the mouth one of these days, just remember you were warned."

I took the second picture of my thumb hours after the bite. The third picture i took from the internet which shows a flying squirrel sailing down after a spooked deer. I always thought this trailcam picture was photo shopped, but now I am not so sure. Maybe they are actually blood thirsty little critters and something to be feared. Flying squirrels are nocturnal and only come out at night, so IF I ever go out in the woods at night, I might start wearing a hardhat. I sure would not want one of them sinking it's very sharp claws and teeth into my neck. The fourth picture is one of my trailcam pictures from a few years ago down at the bear tree. So if you go out at night, BE CAREFUL !!!! There may be something up in the trees watching you.

Bob

post-5081-1473195631_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgrad

Second Picture

post-5081-1473195998_thumb.jpg

This pic supposedly came from northern Wisconsin

post-5081-1473196111_thumb.jpg

My picture. They look cute, but don't try to pick one up

post-5081-1473196213_thumb.jpg

Ouch! I can just imagine what you were thinking. Wow!

What did you THINK was gonna happen when you picked it up? :P

Gary, I was trying to be nice. I almost hit the thing several times and it never flinched. When I first lifted it up, it was just hanging there limp and I thought something was wrong with it. But then it woke up.

Bob

What did you THINK was gonna happen when you picked it up? :P

Gary, I was trying to be nice. I almost hit the thing several times and it never flinched. When I first lifted it up, it was just hanging there limp and I thought something was wrong with it. But then it woke up.

Bob

Yer killin me Bob....................

Now that is funny! Some critters just can't handle kindness. Oh well at least you survived with a story to tell about the day you were mauled by a savage beast and had to drive yourself to the hospital.

Let me get this straight Bob.

Fearless fellow former Marine, crew chief/door gunner aboard a helicopter while serving during the Vietnam war, not afraid of bears or Mountain lions while traveling thru mountainous territory day or night wth Buddy at your side and probably more brave acts that we here could never imagine doing.

Now your telling us that you woke up a cute, big eyed, 4 ounce tiny flying squirrel who then grabs you by the arm, rips your shirt and pants off, leaves an almost invisible scratch on your thumb that puts you in a VA hospital where your crying on the shoulder of a little of a little girl until a very busy Doctor can apply some ointment and a bandaid.

Where and when did you lose your Man Card anyway Bob because I'm not sure they are gonna issue you another one.....lol

Semper Fi buddy, I had to do it. :lol:

Edited by michiganbowbender

Let me get this straight Bob.

Fearless fellow former Marine, crew chief/door gunner aboard a helicopter while serving during the Vietnam war, not afraid of bears or Mountain lions while traveling thru mountainous territory day or night wth Buddy at your side and probably more brave acts that we here could never imagine doing.

Now your telling us that a cute, big eyed, 4 ounce tiny flying squirrel grabs you by the arm, rips your shirt and pants off, leaves an almost invisible scratch on your thumb that puts you in a VA hospital where your crying on the shoulder of a little of a little girl until a very busy Doctor can apply some ointment and a bandaid.

Where and when did you lose your Man Card anyway because I'm not sure you are gonna get a second one !!

Semper Fi buddy.... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: