Sign in to follow this  
speed2spare

Strangest Trialcam Fix Yet

Last night my brother called me to come help him get the time and date and settings set on his SSI P52 builds. Had one that would power on, but when it tried to take a picture it would power off. My first thought was bad flash so I set it aside to bring home and swap out the flashes. So I get it home and swap out his AA's for some of mine and change the memory card. Then fire up the board. Same as it was at his house. So I remove the camera wires from the board. Touch the common and the power wire together and it turns on. Touch the shutter and the common wires for a second or two and it tries to take a picture and its like you can hear the lens trying to focus or something. Then it shuts down. I repeat this process about a dozen times. Then by chance just ticked the the shutter and common wires together for the briefest moment and it took a picture, flash and all. Ticked common and flash again and again and again. Kept working. So I turn camera off. Then power up with the wires as normal then tick the common and shutter together and it works. Woo Hoo. Try it a bunch more times and every once in a while it will mess up taking the first picture then work as normal. So as an apple tree cam it will work fine.

So I pop the picaxe chip off the board and head to the computer. And reprogram it so when the chip pushes the shutter it holds it for 250 or 1/4 of a second instead of 3000 or 3 seconds. Still doesn't work does the same as it did at his house. So back to the computer and reprogram the shutter hold to 50 or 50/1000 of a second. Seems to work pretty darn good at this setting.

I get that I fixed the symptom and not the problem. But what would have been a parts camera is now back in action. Happy camming!

That sure is crazy, but glad you got things going. October is a great month for camming! Get as many builds out as possible?

Do you think the shutter assembly is acting up? Those fine ribbon fingers inside the cam can get a mind of their own over time if things wiggle a little loose?