befus

Oldsters Like To Hunt Too

Second day of modern gun here in upper South. Have had a great year game cam wise and had taken a smaller 8-pt on opening day. About 3:45 this handsome fellow appeared to my right at about a hundred and ten yards. He moved across the lane and directly away from me, but did not stop. I tried mouth grunting at 140 and he looked over his shoulder and then began to hurry away. I looked ahead of him where the trail turned to the right and knew I would have a quartering away shot at 175 if I could manage it. I sat the scope and waited for him to appear in it, and when the reticle crossed his chest I fired my 280 Ackley Improved and the 140 grain Accubond hit him a little high and back, but he dropped in his tracks. About my best shot in the moving deer category and he was a very passable 10 point, the first good deer I've had in several years. At 68 I was both happy, and relieved and excited, to be involved in our wonderful sport.

post-4396-1479166545_thumb.jpg

Edited by befus

Great story befus! Congrats on the successful harvest.

Great job Befus, I like to see us older guys get a good one. Great sport we have and it provides some fine eating in the process. Nice job! :)