befus

W230 Sticking Lens Cover

Well heck, checked the two weeks worth of photos on my w230 build over the weekend (while on a very successful hunt) and found about half of them black. I thought maybe the flash was gone, but no, both day and night pics were affected. On further observation I determined the lens doors were hanging up and not opening on some shots and partially on some, and working on others. Very annoying. Is it possible to disable, glue, remove, or otherwise render them inoperable to avoid this issue? TIA.

Not sure on the W230 but on the W30/50 I've popped the silver front "cap" off and then there was a cover removed by 2 screws and the lens doors could be lifted out. (think this was way it was after removing the front cap, wolvenkinde had posted about this a couple years ago on DIY) Know have a picture of the removed stuff somewhere but can't find it.

Well maybe he did it on a Panasonic but I did basically the same on the W30 and W50. http://www.diytrailcams.com/post/panasonic...?pid=1277261190

Did you try using fine oil maybe on a q-tip and wiping along the door edges to see if can work it a few times and lubricate/remove any crud from them?

Edited by IroquoisArcher

Randall, I just looked at a W230 lens assembly and it appears you would have to take it apart to do this. I have a spare around here somwhere. If I can find it, I will figure out how to do this. There is one thing you don't want to do is put oil on it. This is usually caused by condensation. The way I have fixed it many times. is by holding the camera under a hair drier and repeatedly power the camera up and shut it down several times. I just did this on an H55 a couple of weeks ago.

Bob

Never done it to a 230 but on the other Sony cams with the extending lenses I remove the lens doors. The outer ring usually will lift off and then like Jon said there's usually two screws and everything comes off.

My bad Bob. Knew too much oil would be bad but knew Randall was from the south so might not have as much problem. Just meant to use a drop on a q-tip and work the lens doors and then a dry q-tip to remove any of it. Knew this wasn't the best way.

Jon, Have you ever seen the dust particles in the air when sunlight shines through a window? I have take a cameras apart and taken macro pictures for a hack tutorial. Then you can see these particles. Oil would cause these particles to cling causing problems. This time of the year when it is cold at night and warm in the day, the lens can fog causing condensation. I have never removed the shutter doors, but I have fixed them with warm air from a hair drier or just using compressed air. This has always worked for me.

Edited by dgrad

Thanks guys. Will do Bob on the hair dryer fix, nothing to lose there. I'll let y'all know the results.

Randall, I popped the cover off of a W55 lens assembly and it was easy to remove the doors, But when I tried to do the same thing on a W230 lens assembly it does not work. I ended up destroying the lens assembly. The 230 is different. If your doors are not damaged, they are sticking because of condensation or dust particles. If you can't fix this with a hair dryer or compressed air, let me know and I will send another lens assembly. I doubt if anyone has more experience with extending lens cameras than I do. I have never removed the doors and I have always been able to fix the doors when they start sticking. This is the first time I have heard of this happening on a W230.

Bob