zaj56

Any Bear expers here??

3 posts in this topic

I pulled an s40 today and had a black bear close-up . He (or she) appears to have 6 claws on her right front paw. Is this normal? I thought they were supposed to have 5 pads and 5 claws.

DSC04520_zpsd0pwbvbr.jpg

Hi zaj, nice photo! Yes they are supposed to have five toes. If it is indeed an extra toe or nail, then it is a mutation. I am no bear expert, so I don't know the prevalence of such mutations in bear populations.. However, you can notice the coloration of the extra nail is off compared to the other nails. This may be an indication that it is something else, perhaps a splinter or a scar?

26 minutes ago, camtrapperdoa said:

Hi zaj, nice photo! Yes they are supposed to have five toes. If it is indeed an extra toe or nail, then it is a mutation. I am no bear expert, so I don't know the prevalence of such mutations in bear populations.. However, you can notice the coloration of the extra nail is off compared to the other nails. This may be an indication that it is something else, perhaps a splinter or a scar?

29 minutes ago, camtrapperdoa said:

Thanks   never thought is could be a splinter