Tinhorn

Metal Detector

Who all use a Metal Detector? 

I use to look around old houses and some Civil War camps years ago.  Mostly looking for relics but sometimes found coins.  The best thing I found was a Pocket Knife in the bottom of a Civil War trench.  (I call them type a Barlow Knife)   I cleaned the bigger blade  good enough to see "Sheffield" and "Beckman" and found later "Jobbers" from England sold knifes both South and North soldiers in those days.  (He said there were Jobbers and one was Beckman)  I'll bet he was yelling when he lost it !!! or was under the knife another 6 feet, yikes .....

I'll round up some pictures here soon

what about you other guys with Metal Detectors?

I bought a cheap one $40.00 clearance after xmas about 4-5 years ago, mainly to find survey stakes and I thought I would bring it along on vacation and check the beaches. It worked great for finding the survey stakes and I took it on vacation one time and was to lazy to do any beach cleaning.

I have a few and used them for the gold claim I have.

I love detecting and got into it heavily years ago and ended up building my own, it took a couple years to really learn and understand how the circuits worked but I ended up with building a few pre-made boards and then started my own Pulse Induction design. It is nearly finished but still working out the coding with an engineer in england, Once the final schematic is done (few details to change along with connections) and the coding has been tested with my proto I should have a nice, new tech pulse induction gold detector.

It has an lcd along with controls for frequency, sensitivity, threshold, pulse delay, and battery voltage. the manual controls will be the freq and sensitivity, the rest will be momentary buttons for scrolling up/down in the menus using the lcd screen. It will have a switch for power, lcd backlight on/off, headphone jack etc. It runs on a 12v battery pack. The main micro is a pic 18F4520 and will control all function. I had a few boards made for testing purposes but there will be changes so their will be a new version with multiple changes to layout and some parts.

Its still in the Version 1 phase but I'm hoping it will be close to done for this upcoming spring/summer. I havent had the chance to get out and do any detecting for the last couple years but now since the health issue is under control I'll be headed out this new year for sure..

My detector 1.jpg

Edited by bulltalk.65

WOW, that is neat.  I built few but they were not as good as yours.  You mentioned " upcoming spring/summer " but I like about now because no ticks LOL. 

NEAT